|Chapter 3|

"Prepare?" She scoffed, making me raise a brow.

"How do you prepare for the end of the world, Zoey?" She asked. I turned towards the computer and started typing in some firearms.

"First, you need to be smart." She chuckled.

"Smart. Okay. What else?" She asked. I typed in my lists of handguns that I had on a sheet of paper.

"Second, you need to know how to survive, and I'm talking about doing whatever it takes. Even if that means killing..." I glanced over at her and saw she was shaking slightly. Great. I've scared her.

I sighed and turned towards her.

"I'm sorry for getting you all worked up, Ash." I grabbed her hand. She shook her head.

"Sometimes I wonder, will this be the last time I see the sun? Will I get to see my dad again? With everything that is happening, I feel like our days are getting shorter." She sniffed. Geesh. I forgot how dramatic she could be.

"No one is dying, Ash. You can survive this thing. Whatever this thing is. You will see your dad today, tomorrow, and the next day." I said, squeezing her hand. She took a deep breath before nodding.

"Okay." She looked at the computer screen, and her face scrunched up in confusion.

"Guns?" She asked. I nodded, turning back to the computer.

"Yep. One of the defenses." I said.

"What are the others?" She asked.

"Well. Hand-to-hand combat, melee combat, and other stuff that I don't want to get into right now." I said, my mind wandering off to all the firearms Kade has.

"Melee?" She asked.

"Knives, bats, crowbars. Stuff like that." I said.

"So basically anything that doesn't shoot?" I nodded.

"Yeah. Basically, anything that doesn't..." The lights above us began to flicker, causing me to look up.

"Sorry. It might be the lighting system. This place is kind of old." Ashley said.

I stood up, looking down at the computer screen. There was static on the screen with the words, Connection Lost.

A loud crash sounded outside, sending a vibration through the ground. I looked back at Ashley and saw her eyes go wide. I could hear people screaming and yelling.

"What's that?" She asked.

Another crash sounded, and I started putting my things in my bookbag.

"I don't know, but get your things and let's go." I zipped up my bag and stuck my arms through the straps. I walked to the door, my hand reaching to touch it.

"Wait, Zoey. You don't know what's out there." I glanced back at her.

"Or maybe you do. This might be what you were talking about." She said. I pushed the door open a little bit, peering through the slit.

"What do you see?" She asked. I scanned around, my eyes squinting from trying to see.

"People are running," I said. I pushed open the door and looked around.

People were running up the street. Some were tripping over others, and some had little kids with them. I walked out the door, Ashley close behind me.

We walked down the stairs, and I looked down the street, catching sight of something blinking.