|Chapter 6|

My body fell, and I braced myself for impact. I landed in the dumpster, the trash bags along with my bookbag slightly breaking my fall.

I groaned, the air being knocked out of my lungs. I looked up and saw the men peeping over the roof.

I sat up, ignoring the slight pain in my side and the disgusting smell. I climbed out of the dumpster, landing on the ground.

"Check the trash! I want her dead!" Gregory yelled. I ran down the street, my gun still in my hand.

I can't believe I just jumped from a building. A freaking building! From the sixth floor! I can't wait to tell Matt about—

My thoughts came to a stop, but my feet kept moving. Not the time. I have to get to him first.

I turned the corner, deciding to take a shortcut to my house. I opened the gate and walked through, closing it behind me. 

I looked back, relaxing at the sight. I lost them. I took off in a jog.

Gregory's words swirled in my head with the feeling of mockery painted on them.

A prescient.

What is a prescient, and how am I one? Does he kill people like me? People who can predict things before it happens? All of this sounds crazy.

The only way I knew something was going on with the cell phone towers was because my phone went out for two days. That's clear logic.

By how the clouds were looking, I could tell it was just now getting to the afternoon. I moved my shoulders around and stretched my legs out, the soreness slightly wearing off.

My fingers grazed over the gun, and it brought back the memories of me shooting that man in the head. I shook my head, trying not to overthink it.

I didn't have a choice. He was going to kill Kent then kill me. He was a threat. He had to die. There was no other way.

A ruffling noise made me stop walking, and I moved to the side, the sound getting closer. I cocked my gun, ready to shoot whoever was going to start trouble.

When their foot came in view, I stepped on it and pushed them down. I pointed my gun at them.

"Zoey! Calm down! It's me!" Ashley yelled. My eyes went wide, and I reached for her hand.

"Quiet. There are people after me, and what are you doing here?" I whispered at her. She dusted herself off.

"My dad was gone when I got there, Zoey." She said, her voice cracking.

It was then that I noticed the dried tear streaks on her face. I stuck my gun in the back of my waistband.

"I'm so sorry, Ash," I said. She looked down, sniffing. I sighed, looking around.

"We can't stand here forever. If you're coming with me, you need to be able to keep up." I said. She looked up at me, her eyes searching my face before nodding.

"I can keep up." She said in a low voice. I patted her on the shoulder and started walking ahead.

"When did you get a gun?" She asked.

"It's been with me the whole time. I don't leave the house without it." I replied.

"Oh."

We walked a little more before Ashley spoke.

"I thought you would have had Matt by now." A twinge of pain hit me in my chest, and a dry chuckle slipped past my lips.

"I thought the same. I ran into some trouble, and Kent showed up. There were these men in uniform, government specialists." I said.

"Government specialists? What do they want?" She asked. I opened my mouth but closed it. Maybe I shouldn't tell her. I don't want to drag her into this.

I shrugged my shoulders instead, glancing at her.

"I have no idea." I lied. She looked away, looking behind us.

BOOM

The ground shook, causing us to stumble. I looked up and saw a helicopter. Ashley stared up at the helicopter, and her jaw slacked open.

"Run, Ash!" I yelled at her.

She snapped out of it and did as she was told. I took out my gun and shot at the helicopter, trying to give us time to run.

"Target is in sight and is armed. I repeat: target is in sight and is armed." One of the men said. The helicopter wavered back before a rope dropped out the door.

My eyes went wide, and I turned around, running. Ashley was nowhere to be seen, and that somewhat made me happy.

I could hear the man running behind me, and I pushed my legs harder to run faster.

My body was tugged to the side, my gun falling out my hand. He turned me over, and I pushed against him.

"Let me go!" I shouted at him. He grunted and held my arms down with one of his hands.

His face was covered in a black ski mask, and his hands were in gloves. The only thing I could see were his eyes, which were a warm brown.

"Sir, I've captured the target." He said into an earpiece. I pushed against him, trying to get away.

"Get off of me!" I yelled.

I looked above my head and saw my gun. I looked back at him and threw my head against his. He hissed in pain, and I could feel my head pounding.

I pushed him off of me and turned over, reaching for my gun. I grabbed it and turned over, pointing the gun at his chest.

He stuck his hands up, his body set on one knee.

"Wait. Wait. Don't shoot." He said. I cocked my gun, standing to my feet.

"Why shouldn't I?" I asked. He brought his finger up to his ear, causing me to step forward.

"Target has escaped. I repeat: target has escaped." He said. He brought his hand down and set them back in front of him.

I kept my gun pointed at him, my suspicion for him growing.

"Why did you do that?" I asked.

"Because I know what you are." He said. My breathing picked up.

"A prescient? I'm not that. Whatever that is." I said. He stood up, keeping his distance from me.

"You are. I know you are. The General said so." He said. I shook my head.

"No. I'm just a normal girl that wants to get her little brother," I said. He took off his mask and released a long breath.

He was handsome. He had a buzz cut, and there was a long scar on his right eyebrow. His muscles showed through his uniform, and his pale skin contrasted with his brown eyes.

His lips curled up into a frown.

"You're more than that, and you know it. I can help you." He said. I raised a brow at him.

"How?"

"I can get you to your brother faster." He said. My hand lowered on its own.

"How?" I asked again.

"I can take you in the helicopter." I shook my head, my hand coming back up.

"No. I don't need your help. I'm fine on my own." I said. I stepped back.

"We don't have to take the helicopter. We can go on foot. Please. I have to do this." He said.

"Why?"

"My sister told me I would meet you one day."