|Chapter 40|

I walked ahead of the guys, my shoulders rigid. My entire body felt drained and I just wanted to sleep. The voice hasn't said anything in a while and that worried me.

The whispers had stopped and there weren't any slamming doors. It makes me think, was this all just in my head? Am I going crazy?

"Hey," I looked up and when my eyes made contact with warm, brown ones, I immediately glared.

"You piece of crap. I cried out to you." I whispered harshly, not wanting to cause another scene in the hall. Plus, my throat was kind of sore from my prescient yelling through me.

Michael's eyes held guilt, but that changed nothing. I walked around him, trying to catch up with the others.

"I couldn't touch you, Zoey. You could have easily killed me." He said behind me. I continued walking, not stopping to hear his excuses.

I jogged down the stairs, stepping over the dead bodies that littered the building. As I made my way to the front door of the hotel, I could see the guys getting everything out of the car.

Rays of sunshine beamed through the hotel lobby and kissed my skin. I pushed open the door, the wind blowing my hair back. I walked to the truck and their conversations seemed to stop at the sight of me.

"Are you okay, kid?" Conner stepped away from the truck and in front of me. I nodded and sidestepped him.

I opened the trunk and reached under the seat. My hand connected around ammo packs and a few candy bars. I sat my bag down and stuffed the items in it.

"What happened in there?" I glanced up and saw Tyler sitting on his knees in the backseat, facing me. I looked back to what I was doing.

"Archer, I'm talking to you." He seemed to grit out. I blew out a breath, zipping up my bookbag.

"Nothing happened, Tyler. Please. I don't feel like going through this with you." I said. His eyebrows creased, but I could see suspicion in his black eyes.

"Your prescient has had the chance to speak through you for the first time. It is hungry." He said. I looked around and saw it was only us outside. Where did everyone go so fast?

I slid my bag on my back, wanting so badly to just walk away, but the curiosity of the new side of myself had me sitting down in the back of the trunk.

"Hungry for what?" I asked.

"Bloodshed." My heart dropped and I could feel fear grip me. Bloodshed?

"It wants to kill people? Why?" He sighed, shaking his head.

"It all started with the first prescient. His name was Leonardo Hitter. He was only ten when he got his gift. Just like you," he leaned forward on his elbows.

"His brother trusted him with his own life and that's what killed him." His small hand touched my cheek and a zap of energy went through me. My vision went dark.

My body felt like it was falling. Maybe because I was. My hair flew around my face and my limbs were reaching for anything that could help me. Save me.

From falling.

Strong emotions of anger and sadness filled my veins and I couldn't help but cry out in pain. Pain that I didn't know the cause of. My back crashed into something hard and I could feel the air escape my lungs.

Eyes wide, I stared up into nothingness.

"He sacrificed himself for his brother."

I couldn't move. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't cry. The only thing I could do was listen. Listen to the pain-filled voice of the weird transforming boy that had a story to tell.