|Chapter 12|

"I know you're in there, Zoey! Maybe if I shoot your little friend here, you'll cooperate!" Gregory's voice yelled.

"Who's your friend?" Kent asked. I cursed under my breath and tightened the straps on my bag.

"Just follow my lead. Do exactly what I say." I whispered to them. Kade was still at the window.

"Kade, snap out of it," I said. He looked over at me and it looked like he was glaring.

"You knew." He said. My eyes went wide. Does he know?

"Zoey! Don't come out here!" Michael yelled. I ignored Kade's glare and walked to the door.

"Don't go, Zoe," Matt said, running up to me.

"It's okay. Nothing's going to happen. Just stay behind Kent and everything will be alright." He nodded, walking behind Kent.

I took a deep breath and opened the door. My eyes set directly on Gregory.

"Well, hello. I was beginning to think you wanted him to die." He said.

I glared at him, walking out slowly. Soldiers were all over the place. They lined up the street and there was a helicopter parked by the truck.

Gregory glared at me, but a smile was on his face.

"I see you're still limping from that gunshot, Archer. How does it feel?" He teased. Crap. My pole is in the house.

"Great actually. Maybe you should try it. Oh. I forgot." I gritted out.

"Run, Zoey. Don't let them—"

A soldier punched Michael in the stomach and two others held him by his arms. Kent grabbed the back of my shirt, pulling me to him.

"Oh. Who is this? Let me guess. The officer. Hm." Gregory said. I grabbed Kent's hand off my back and brought it back to his side.

I stepped forward, standing straight.

"Leave them out of this." He raised a brow and laughed.

"Leave them out of— no. They are very well apart of this just like you." He said angrily. Someone cleared their throat, causing me to look beside Gregory.

"Mom?" I asked. She smiled and tried to walk over to me.

"Uh. Uh. Uh. I think not." Gregory grabbed my mother by her arm and pulled her back to him.

I started to walk to them, but I was pulled back by my book bag. I went to push them off of me but stopped when my eyes clashed with white ones.

"Calm down. They have snipers moving in on the roofs." Kade whispered down to me. My eyebrows creased.

"How would you... know?" I gasped. He stepped back and dropped his head to the ground. He can't be, can he? I turned back to Gregory.

"Your mom here was a great help to us, Zoey. She gave us your location. She gave us access. She fulfilled her end of the deal." I glared at my mother. Deal?

"How could you? You gave us up?" I asked, betrayal going through my veins. She gave me a weak smile.

"Zoey, honey. They agreed to keep us safe. Just until they get rid of all the prescients." She said. My hands curled up at my sides.

"You're agreeing with this? Are you serious?"

"When it's over, I'll get my job back and y-you and Matt will be safe." She said, nodding to herself. Gregory barked out a laugh, causing her to look over at him.