|Chapter 4|

We made eye contact, and I could see the question in his eyes.

"I know. I know. It sounds stupid, but it isn't." I said.

"There was probably a leak in the system. It can't be the end of the world, Zoey. That sounds... unreal." He said. I shook my head.

"It's very real, Kent! Men in black uniforms are shooting out missiles and are killing innocent people." I exclaimed. He stayed silent. I looked out the window.

It has to be the end. I mean, they are destroying the city. But why are they destroying the city? My eyes caught sight of cars, and I tapped Kent on his shoulder.

"Turn the car around," I said.

"Why?" I pointed ahead of me.

"It's a row full of cars blocking the street. There's another way to Matt's school." I said. He did a U-turn and started driving the other way.

"Stop your vehicle!" A man yelled. Kent stomped on the breaks, causing my body to lean against my seat belt.

There was a man dressed in a black uniform. He was standing at least ten feet from us with a megaphone in one hand and a gun in the other.

"Get out of the vehicle!" He shouted. Shivers ran through my body as I stared at the man.

"Does he look familiar?" I whispered.

"No, but I don't take orders from him," Kent said. He began to push his foot on the gas.

"Don't." I hissed. The engine revved but then quieted down as he let his foot off of it.

"Why? What's wrong?"

"You see what's in his hand?" I gestured my head forward.

"He has a gun," Kent stated. I nodded.

"Yes, but there are also two missiles ready to launch if we do not cooperate," I said, spotting the blinking lights. He cursed under his breath.

"Get out of your vehicle!" The man yelled again. Kent unbuckled his seat belt.

"So, we cooperate?" He asked. I opened the door, stepping out.

"For now. Just follow my lead." I took a deep breath, my nerves all over the place. I closed the door and stood near the car.

"Walk forward!" He shouted. Kent stepped forward.

"Don't move," I said. The man moved the megaphone from his mouth and started talking off to the side.

"Listen. This is what we're going to do. We are going to run the way we were going at first." I said, keeping my eyes on the man.

"Run? For what?" He asked. I rolled my eyes.

"If we listen to them, we're dead. He is going to shoot us once we get in range. But if we run, we have a better chance of surviving." I said, looking over at him.

"What about the missiles?" He asked. I bit my lip. I almost forgot about those.

"They have to set on a target. Either it's you or me. We have to run parallel of the car. I believe the missiles will be targeted at us, but with the car in the way—"

"I said, walk forward!" My eyes snapped back to the man, and I could see he had his finger on the trigger.

"Run."

I turned around and started running, making sure I was running parallel with the car.

I could hear Kent behind me, his heavy boots hitting the ground. Gunshots were fired at us but had no luck in hitting one of us.