|Chapter 44|

I stared at Kade through the window of the car. My hands started to slightly shake, but I knew it wasn't from an event.

This shake was fear. Fear of losing my brother. Of losing him. I have to kill him? Of all the people on the planet, him?

I blew out a breath, walking to the truck.

I'm not going to kill him. No matter what happens. I can't. I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing I killed the only person that believed in me. The only person that I would die for. That I would kill for.

"The engine is busted," Cain said, his head stuck in the hood.

I came to stand beside him, looking at the engine. It was in fact busted. Smoke was coming from the broken engine and I brought a hand over my nose, coughing.

"When you tossed the car, you might've destroyed our only transportation." He said. I scratched my head.

"Crap," I muttered. How are we going to find the warehouse now?

"I have an idea." I turned around and saw Tyler. He stared up at me.

"Let's hear it." He reached his hand out and I stared at it confused. He rolled his eyes, grabbing my wrist.

"What are you--" My eyes went wide and I could feel my body freeze all over.

"Do it, Zoe!" I turned and saw Matt. He was in the same black uniform from before and his eyes were bloodshot red.

He was on the ground and he looked pretty beaten up. Blood was gushing out of his stomach and dripping from his mouth and nose. I shook my head, the gun in my hand rising on its own.

"I'm so sorry, Matt," I whispered. He smiled, a sad look in his eyes.

"Don't be. It's okay." He coughed and I could feel myself step closer to him. My body was urging myself to pull the trigger, but I couldn't.

"No." Pain shot through my head and I stepped back.

"Zoe?"

I fell to my knees, the gun still clung to my hand. It felt like my brain was on fire.

Kill him, Zoey. You have to. Don't change the event. It won't end well for you.

"Kill me, Zoe. Now." I shook my head, tears flowing down my cheeks. I shakily brought the gun up to my head, my finger on the trigger.

"Zoe," he coughed, shaking his head. "What are you doing?"

"You'll find it in your heart that you don't have to kill everyone. Like you're meant to do. You can make your own event, Matt." I stared at him in his wide, blue eyes and smiled.

"I love you, Matt."

The gun fired and I could feel my body go limp.

Gasps flowed out of my mouth and I looked around confused. Tyler was glaring at me while Kade was holding my arm.

"What... happened?" I asked. I brought my hand up to my head, wincing. My head. What--

"You idiot! You could've killed yourself!" Tyler shouted. I coughed, shaking my head.

"I'm fine. I'm not going to kill him." I said. He scoffed, shaking his head.

"You have no choice. Don't you get it?" He asked. I shrugged Kade's hand off of me and I stepped up to Tyler.

"I get it. You want me to kill a kid. My brother. I don't care if he can transform into an old man. Or that he can kill people. He's my brother and I won't kill him." I gritted out. He glared up at me and I sported the same look.