|Chapter 24|

My eyes trailed back up to his and I gulped.

"Thanks," I whispered out. He blew out a breath and I could smell the fresh mint lingering between us. I played with the chocolate bar in my hand when I realized something.

"How did you know I wanted a chocolate bar?" I asked.

He didn't answer me. He leaned his head forward and I could feel myself slightly panic, but his head only rested on my own.

"It's hard." He whispered. My eyebrows knitted together.

"What's hard?" I asked. His eyes were closed and his face was scrunched up in pain.

"Resisting it. It gets harder every day to control it." He breathed out. His fist hit the vending machine, causing me to jump.

"Control what, Kade? What are you talking about?"

"Me. Me! I'm talking about me!" He buried his head in the crook of my neck. He inhaled a deep breath before releasing it.

"You smell so good." I shivered, his body pressing against mine.

"Kade." I cleared my throat. What is he doing?

His hand grabbed my face and my immediate defense was to reach for my knife. He grabbed my wrists with one hand and lifted them above my head.

I kneed him, but he didn't budge and instead moved his leg between mine. My breaths were ragged and I could feel myself panicking.

"Kade, what are you-"

"Shut up. You're going to tell me everything you know, Archer." His voice was cold and dead. It sent a deadly shiver down my spine and I could feel my stomach begin to act up.

"What are you talking about?" I asked. I looked up into his eyes and saw they were pitch black. I gasped, the sight scary.

"Don't play dumb with me. How did you know about the guns? How did you know my name when we first met? Who are you really?" The questions shot out of his mouth like bullets.

I stared up at him. Is he serious?

"Kade-"

"Answer me!" He shouted. I shrunk back.

"I'm trying to, you idiot! Now let me go!" I yelled back. He chuckled, shaking his head.

"Not until you answer me. How did you know who I was?" He asked again. I tried to turn my head away from him, but he had a tight grip on my chin.

"Let. Me. Go. Now, before I hurt you, Kade." I said through gritted teeth. He laughed. That same heartless laugh Ashley did. The same laugh Gregory does.

"You can't hurt me, Zoey. You're too weak to damage me." He spat. I could feel my eyes welling up with tears, but it wasn't out of sadness. Oh no. It was out of pure rage.

"When I get myself out of this, I am going to bash your head into this vending machine until some of it is missing." I threatened.

"You're not going to do anything. You love me too much to do that. And sadly, this shell of me loves you too." He said. Despite the situation I was in, my heart still soared through my chest at the mention of him loving me.

"If you love me, why are you doing this?" I asked. He glared down at me.

"I enjoy seeing my prey wither under my grip until I kill them." He simply said. Something clicked in my head.

"This isn't you, Kade. You don't have to give in." I whispered. He brought my face towards him and for a second I thought he was about to kiss me. He pushed my head back, hitting it against the vending machine.