|Chapter 29|

The wind blew against my face and I sucked in a deep breath, the cool air slightly refreshing. The sky was dark and gloomy and I could see smoke trailing up into the sky. Jesus Christ...

My eyes landed on a wide, tall bush of leaves. They went all around us and I could feel my confusion growing. What the...

"It's been a while since I've been up here," Conner muttered. I looked at him, remembering he was standing by me the whole time.

"How long have you been in those cells?" I asked. He shrugged.

"Months. Five, at most. Lost count." He said, walking ahead of me. I followed behind him. Five months?

"The car is just out front. Michael and Kent are waiting!" Cain yelled back to us. He was walking ahead and it seemed like he was mumbling to himself.

"He's been through a lot."

I looked over at Conner, confused.

"Who?" I asked. He tilted his head forward.

"The Commander. He's lost one of his sons in this fight already. I think he just wants it to end before he loses another." He whispered. I looked at Cain, my heart aching for him.

"What about their mom?" I asked.

"She's been dead for six years. His son is the only person he has left in this world." He said. I shook my head.

"It's all Gregory's fault." I said. Conner scoffed.

"Stating the obvious I see. Very wise." He joked. I rolled my eyes.

We began coming up to a jeep and when my eyes landed on Kent and Michael, I could feel a long, dreadful trip up ahead.

"I said no. We are not going to risk her life for your stupid plan." Michael spat. I walked up to them.

"What's going on?" I asked. Kent continued to glare at Michael.

"Kent here thinks it's a good idea to send you out in the open. Alone. Unarmed. Says that might draw Gregory out quicker." He said. I looked at Kent, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Explain." I said. His shoulders seemed to relax.

"It's smarter to use you for bait. You know, since you're the one he wants. It sure beats driving around looking for his men." He said. I bit my lip. That does beat driving around.

"No, Zoey. You can't be considering being bait. He will kill you on sight." Michael rushed out. I nodded.

"I know. I know." I blew out a breath. I looked at Cain and saw he was leaning against the jeep, staring at me. I nodded again, a plan forming in my head.

"Do you have a marker?" I asked. He nodded slowly.

"Yeah. There's one in the glove box. Why?" I opened the front seat door and reached in the glove box. I pulled out a red marker, a small smile forming on my face.

"I have a better plan." I slipped off my book bag and opened it. I dug in the bag, my hand skimming over Matt's file.

I paused, but then moved it out the way. I took out a folded piece of paper and started to unfold it.

"Cain, do you remember where Gregory's outposts are located?" I asked. I laid the paper on the hood of the car, taking the top off of the marker.

"Yeah. Why?" He asked. I gestured them towards me.

"I have a plan that might get us killed, but it might give us an advantage." I looked at Cain.

"Wow. You really was prepared." I heard Kent mumble. I ran a hand and straightened out one of the many maps I had of the city.