|Chapter 19|

The door opened, catching my attention. Kade walked into the room, a bag in his hand. He walked straight over to the bed and I stayed quiet, watching him.

He walked to the side of the bed I was previously laying on and reached down.

"Zoe-" He looked around, his features growing dark. His body went rigid and his fists clenched at his sides.

His right hand was wrapped in a bandage and I could see blood seeping through. What happened?

"Zoey!" He shouted, walking away from the bed. I put my hand over my mouth, trying not to laugh.

"Zoey! I know I wasn't gone that long." He mumbled. He sat the bag on the bed and was about to leave the room.

"Kade," I said. He turned to me, releasing a breath. His body visibly relaxed.

"Jesus, Zoey. You scared me." He said, walking over to me. I flew into his arms, causing him to stumble back. I wrapped my arms around his waist, burying my face into his chest.

The smell of him calmed down my nerves and I sighed in content.

We stayed like that for a while before my stomach interrupted us. I chuckled and pulled back.

"Here. Eat." He said, walking back to the bed. I walked over to him and he handed me the bag.

"There's a burger and fries in there. You had a drink too, but Michael decided he wanted to drink it." He said. I shook my head and sat on the floor.

"Of course he would. Where did you get fast food from?" I asked, taking out the food. My stomach was all giddy like and I could feel my mouth water at the greasy smell.

Now that I think about it, I haven't eaten in days. Weeks almost. The feeling of hunger quickly kicked in.

"The cafeteria. They serve a lot of things down there." He said. I unwrapped my burger and bit into it.

I hummed in delight and took another bite. It's delicious.

"This is good," I said. I ate a fry and was happy that they were still warm. I hate cold fries.

"Are you sitting on the floor?" He asked. I looked up at him and nodded.

"Yep," I took another bite.

"You could have sat on the bed if you wanted." He said.

"Nah. I'm good down here. I don't want to dirty up the sheets." I said, eating a fry. He nodded and scratched his head.

His coffee-brown hair was still it that same ponytail, only neater.

"Why do you keep it in a ponytail?" He shrugged, dropping his hand to his lap.

"So it wouldn't be in the way, I guess."

"How long is it?" I asked. I grabbed a handful of fries.

"I don't know. It has probably grown longer through the past months." He said. I ate the fries and looked down in the bag. I tore my burger in half and stuck the rest in the bag. I ate the rest of it and sighed in satisfaction.

There's nothing like good greasy burgers and fries.

"Where's Kent?" I asked. Kade blew out a breath.

"He's out there. Doing his daily groaning and complaining." He mumbled. I chuckled, shaking my head.

"Of course. He wouldn't be Kent if he didn't." I closed the bag and looked around the room for my bookbag.