|Chapter 26|

My eyelids fluttered open and I stared up at the bland, white ceiling. The spinning fan caught my attention and my eyes followed the brown, wooden blades.

The scenes from before began catching up to me and I couldn't help but shiver.

I have a brother. Well, I had a brother. How could I forget Mom was pregnant?

Dad said I wasn't meant to remember, but why wouldn't I be allowed to remember something like that? He was my brother and I... I didn't even know about him.

Then there's Kade. He's meant to kill me. He... lied to me. I trusted him and he's meant to kill me. Gregory is probably laughing at me right about now. This was his plan.

He knew I would trust another prescient because... Well, because I didn't know what I was doing. When I started to gain these powers, I was lost and scared.

Kade came along and I grew attached to him, which was a big mistake. My mistake.

I should've just kept my eyes and mind on my number one priority: Saving Matt.

The sound of something creaking caught my attention and I sat up, looking around the room.

A pool of black hair filled the gap in the door then they stepped completely in the room.

"How are you feeling?" Michael asked. I blew out a breath, running a hand over my face.

"Tired. Exhausted. Betrayed. Weak. Angry. Hungry. Filthy. Do I need to keep going?" I asked. He chuckled, shaking his head.

"I got it when you said exhausted. I brought you some breakfast." He made his way over to me and placed a bag in front of me.

"Thanks," I mumbled. I opened the bag and took out the clear container, my mouth watering at the sight of pancakes and hashbrowns.

"So, what's on the agenda for today?" He asked, sitting at the bottom of the bed. I bit into a hashbrown, enjoying the taste.

"We're heading out. I'm getting tired of being cramped down here." I said. He nodded, picking a hashbrown from my plate.

"Kent and Kade?" He asked. I scoffed.

"Kent, sure. Kade... He stays here." I said. I sliced my pancake with the fork as best as I could and placed the fluffy bread into my mouth.

"What if we need him?" He asked. I shrugged.

"We won't. He is useless to us if he's working with the enemy. I won't be able to keep my eyes on him and with him trying to kill me, I won't be able to concentrate." I said.

"But he loves you." I shook my head.

"No, he doesn't. He was sent to kill me."

"He hasn't killed you yet. He loves you, Zoey. You can't just-"

"I'm not going to have a traitor with me on this. I have to save Matt and no one will stop me. Not even Kade." I spoke low. He stared at me for a while before nodding.

"Alright. When do we move out?" He asked. I nodded, glad that we were on the same page now.

"I'm going to take a shower. Let James know we're leaving and ask him if he has a spare car we could use." I slid out the bed, sitting the remaining food in the bag.

"Maybe ask him if he has some bags and gather some food and water. Weapons would be good too." I said, making my way to the bathroom.

"What do I tell Kade?" He asked. I sighed, glancing back at him.