|Chapter 25|

My brain felt like it was on fire and I snapped out of it, pulling away from Kade. I was breathing hard and so was he. My head was pounding and a slight groan slipped pass my lips.

"Zoey? What happened?" He asked. I looked up at him. He reached out to me, but I stepped back.

"You lied to me," I whispered. His eyebrows furred up.

"What are you..." He stopped talking as if he figured it out.

"You were in my memories, Zoey? That's private." He said. I shook my head, stepping away from him.

"But it's okay for you to probe my visions? I knew you were a liar the first time I set my eyes on you." I spat.

"Let me explain-"

"No! You were sent to kill me!" I shouted. Tears were leaking down my face like a stream and I couldn't stop them.

"It's not what you think it is." He said. I shook my head.

"I saw it all, Kade. You signed up to kill prescients. Then you were assigned to kill me. You lying sack of--"

"Hey. What's all the yelling about?" I didn't bother looking over at Michael as he approached us. Kade moved his head towards Michael.

"She went into my memories." He said.

"He's been lying this whole time. I bet you're still working with Gregory, aren't you?" I asked. He shook his head.

"Why would I work with him, Zoey? He's the enemy." He said.

"It's February," I said. His eyebrows knitted together.

"What?"

"You have less than a month to kill me before my eighteenth birthday. What are you going to do about that?" I asked.

"I'm not going to kill you, Zoey." He said.

"Zoey, what is happening? Is he working with Gregory or not?" Michael asked. I looked back at him and saw he was glaring at Kade. I looked back at Kade.

"I bet you were working with Ashley. That's probably how she got in here without being detected."

"Enough!" He yelled. A wave pushed Michael and me back and I wasn't ready. I fell down, my head hitting the floor.

"I'm not working with him, Zoey. You have to believe me." He said. I grunted, pushing myself up. My head was hurting much more now and I could feel myself starting to lose consciousness.

"I don't have to believe anything!" I yelled. More tears were flowing down my face and my heart was aching. I felt betrayed. Betrayed by the one that I lo-- the one that loves me.

"Zoey, please. Calm down." He said. I fell back, a pair of arms catching me before I could hit the floor.

"Zoey! Keep your eyes open!" Michael said. My eyes fluttered and I coughed.

"Jesus, you're bleeding. Kade stop standing there and help me!" He said. I began shaking my head, coughing even more.

"No," I said weakly. Michael ignored me and I could feel my body being lifted. A familiar buzz danced on my skin and I couldn't help but relax against his frame.

"We have to take her to Lauren," Michael said. The name bounced around in my head.

The Scientist.

"No. She'll do nothing but experiment on her. I'll take her back to the Admiral's room." Kade said.

Why does he care if she'll experiment on me? He's supposed to kill me. My eyes closed and I could feel myself losing.