|Chapter 5|

We made it to the school, and I could feel my heart leap out of my chest.

I ran through the doors, the sound echoing through the building.

"Hello!" Kent yelled.

My eyes searched around, but I didn't spot a soul in sight. The hallways were trashed, and there were bullet holes in the walls.

"They got here before us," I whispered to myself. I could feel my chest tighten.

"Matt. We got to find Matt." I said, running down the hall.

"Zoey, wait!" I ignored him and turned down the hall.

"Matt! Matt! If you can hear me, say something!" I shouted.

A hand gripped my arm and pulled into an empty classroom. I immediately threw my elbow back, hitting them in the stomach.

I stepped back and drew my gun, pointing it at the man.

"Woah. No need to get hostile." The man said. His voice was deep and rich, and it sent a chill through my body.

"Show your face," I said.

Footsteps echoed through the hall before they came to a stop.

"Zoey," Kent said, his voice guarded. The man tilted his face toward Kent, and that's when I saw his eyes.

"Kade," I whispered. His head snapped to me, and I could see his eyes narrow.

"How do you know my name?" He asked, stepping towards me. I cocked my gun.

"Stay still," I said. He smirked.

"Or what? You're going to shoot me?" He teased.

"She will. Trust me." Kent said, coming up beside me. I rolled my eyes.

"Deal with this, Kent. I'm going to go find Matt." I said, walking out the door.

"They're gone." He said. I stopped in my tracks and turned around.

"Gone? Where?" I asked.

"They evacuated the children out of the building. Those men." He said, his voice going low. I walked back to them.

"Do you know where?" I asked. He stayed silent. I gritted my teeth.

"Tell me where!" I yelled. He grabbed me by my shirt and pulled me against him.

"Let her-"

"Get over here. Now." He said. His voice sent vibrations through his chest.

It was only now that I could hear the soft murmurs of someone else. Kent stepped in the classroom with his back to the wall and stayed silent.

My nostrils inhaled for air, and I could smell the scent of rain and wood. It smelled nice. Kade had his hands wrapped around my body, and my hands were placed over his chest.

"The girl was headed this way, sir." A voice said. There were several footsteps as they entered the hall we were on.

"What about that man? Officer Kent?" A man asked. His voice held a thick accent.

"He's still with her, sir." He said. I couldn't see anything from being squished into Kade's chest.

"Find her. That's the daughter of Claire Archer, a former agent. She knows valuable information, and she killed one of my good men." The man said. Former? Did she get fired?

"Yes, sir. What about her adopted brother, Matt Green?" My body tensed at the mention of Matt.

"Someone was stupid enough to release him to Mrs. Archer." The man growled out. My body relaxed slightly. They were getting closer to the classroom we were in.