|Chapter 14|

"Hey, guys." I looked back at Michael and saw he was pacing back and forth.

"We can stop here and rest. It's starting to get dark out." He said.

I shook my head and patted Kade's chest to let him know to put me down. He sat me on the ground but held onto my hand to help me stand.

"We can't stop now." I pulled us over to Michael.

"It's getting dark, Zoey. People are injured and tired. We need the rest." He said.

"My brother will not be left with that bastard any longer than he has to." I gritted out. I could feel Kade pulling my hand, trying to get me to step back. I released his hand and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Kent has been shot! Hell, you've been shot! We can get Matt tomorrow." He said. He turned away from me and walked over to Kent.

"Idiot," I grumbled. I turned back around and limped away from them.

"Zoey! Wait up!" I glanced back and saw Kent walking after me. I stopped and turned to him. He stood in front of me and looked down.

"We can go get your brother if you want. I'm fine. My shoulder doesn't even hurt anymore." He said. I bit my lip and his eyes narrowed at the action.

"No. Michael's right. You and I are injured and they are tired. We can rest for a while." I said. He stuck a hand on my shoulder, giving me a look.

"Are you sure?" He asked. I nodded, placing my hands on my hips.

"Yeah. Matt is a tough kid. He'll be able to take care of himself for a while." I strained out. He frowned at me and it felt like I would start crying any minute.

"Zoey--"

"I'm fine, Kent," I said. His hand trailed up to my face and I could see his eyes lock in on my lips before they trailed back up to my eyes.

"Kent..." I trailed off.

He leaned forward and I leaned back, panic coursing through my veins. He stopped and bit his lip. He stepped back and cleared his throat.

"Yeah. Sorry." He turned around and quickly walked off, his back rigid. I went to call for him, but a voice caught my attention.

"What was that about?" I looked over and saw Kade standing a few feet from me.

"What was what about?" I asked, looking back at Kent. He was beside Michael and they were talking about something.

"He tried to kiss you, didn't he?" He asked. I looked at Kade.

"Are you really blind or are you pulling our chains here?" I asked, trying to change the subject. He chuckled and walked up to me.

"I can sense it." He said. He put his arms down and picked me up. I wrapped my arm around his neck. I guess I should get used to this, huh?

"Sense it?" I asked. He nodded.

"I can't see, but I can do everything else. The rest of my senses are heightened." He said.

"In this case, I could hear it in both of your voices. The slight panic and the embarrassment blended well together." He teased. I furred my eyebrows.

"How would that seem as he was about to kiss me?" I asked. He shrugged.

"It doesn't."

"Then how did you know?" I asked. A faint smile tinted his lips.

"I didn't." He simply said. I thought about it and when I figured it out, I slapped his chest.

"I told you, didn't I?" I asked. He chuckled.