|Chapter 39|

The door to the hotel creaked as Michael pushed it open. I stepped through, gun in my hand. It was silent and the smell of death reeked in the air.

Bodies littered the stained tile floors and I could see bullet shells everywhere.

"Did Gregory do this?" Kent voiced the same question I was thinking. Did he do this?

"It's definitely his style. He loves to kill the innocent. Especially the ones that don't agree with him." Michael said. I shook my head, my arm falling to my side.

This man is really sick! How could he.. Calm down, Zoey.

"When I get my hands on him..." Cain mumbled. I stepped over the dead bodies and walked over behind the desk.

"If the security cameras are still up, we can search the building instead of going in blind," I said.

"You think there's still internet?" Conner asked. I shrugged.

"I don't know." I pressed the button on the monitor to the computer and wasn't surprised when it didn't turn on.

"Well, plan B. We should split into two groups. There are four floors to this place," I looked at Kent.

"You've been here before?" He nodded, a sad look appearing on his face.

"Came to visit my sisters when I had vacation two weeks ago. I just hope they're okay." He muttered. I averted my gaze. He has sisters? Where are they now?

"I like your thinking, officer. Each group can get two floors. Wouldn't take us long, right?" Cain asked. I nodded.

"Let's get a move on then." I came from behind the desk and made my way to the stairs.

"Michael and Kent are with me. We'll take the two lower floors. Meet here back in twenty." I said. They nodded and headed to their floors.

I sighed, craning my neck. This is tiring.

"Are you okay?" I looked to the side and saw Michael giving me a look of concern.

"Yeah. Just drained." I admitted. His eyebrows creased.

"We can go by ourselves if you need to rest. It'll be okay." I shook my head, walking up the stairs.

"No. I have to go with you guys."

A door slamming upstairs got our attention and my body became rigid. I jogged up the stairs, Kent and Michael hot on my tail.

The feeling of dread wrapped around my body like a warm blanket and I couldn't stop my hands from shaking.

"Something's not right." We made it to the first floor and I looked around for any sign of life. The hall was trashed and blood was splattered on the walls. Doors were hanging off the hinges and some were kicked down.

Another slam echoed through the hall and I broke out in a sprint. There was another and I stopped. I turned to look at the guys and they sported the same look as if asking the same question.

Who the hell is slamming doors?

My head turned to the side at the sound of footsteps. Whispers followed the steps and my eyes darted everywhere.

"You guys hear that?" I even whispered myself. They were getting louder and I covered my ear with one of my hands.

"Zoey, what are you-"

My body was flung back down the hall and I could feel my back hit the wall. I gasped, the air knocked out of my lungs. My gun fell out my hands, making a thump on the floor.