|Chapter 30|

"Kid. Kid, get up."

I gasped, my eyelids flying open. My head was pounding and my eyes were hurting. My heart was beating against my chest and it felt like I couldn't breathe.

"Calm down. It's okay." I looked around, my eyes landing on Conner. He was sitting next to me with one hand on my arm. I released a breath, my hand laying on my chest.

"What happened?" My voice was hoarse and my throat slightly burned. We were sitting in the car and I could see that it was starting to get dark out.

"Cain." He strained out. His blue eyes seemed to glow for a quick second, but then they died down.

The memory of Cain turning the car on floated to my mind along with the black smoke. I clenched my fists, fury fueling me.

"That idiot!" I gritted out. I began trying to open the door, but Conner grabbed my hand. Waves of shocks flowed through my hand and eventually throughout my body.

"You can't attack him, Zoey. You have to calm down." He said. The sound of him saying my name sounded weird. Like he wasn't suppose to say it. Kid sounds better...

What am I thinking? This is getting out if control.

"Why not? He attacked us. A sneak attack!" I exclaimed. He shook his head.

"He will end up getting shot, Zoey, and not by you. By one of Gregory's men at this outpost if you try to attack him. It will prevent us talking to them... civilly." He said.

My eyebrows raised.

"That came from...?" I pointed at his eye. He nodded his head. I blew out a breath, laying my head on the headrest.

"Why does this have to be so hard?" I groaned, closing my eyes. The shocks were still emitting from his hand and I shifted in my seat.

"It has to be. If it wasn't, the fight wouldn't be worth it." He said. I opened my eyes and looked over at him.

"Is it worth it?" I whispered.

"The killing. The lies. The truth," I scoffed.

"Trust issues. Is all of that worth it? Worth all this trouble because I'm some advanced prescient that Gregory wants to kill. Am I worth it?" I asked.

Conner just stared at me, his eyes searching my face. His hand tightened around mine and I sucked in a breath. His nose flared up and his eyes were glowing again.

"You are worth it, kid. No matter what has happened, you're worth it. Don't let the sudden defeats eat at your confidence. You are brave and smart. You're prepared and you can kill Gregory," he paused.

"And you can save Matt without losing yourself to your prescient." He whispered. He leaned closer to me and I could feel myself doing the same.

DON'T!

My body shook and I felt a wave of air hit me in my chest. I gasped. My head hit the window, a slight crack going down the glass.

"Zoey!"

The door flew off the car and I was pulled out by some force. I rolled in the dirt, rocks and sticks scratching at my skin.

"Crap. He's close." Conner muttered, getting out the car. I groaned, sitting up. I looked down at my arm and saw it was slightly bleeding.

"Who's close?" I asked. He helped me up and I grunted, my headache much worse.

"Your little boyfriend." He sneered. My boyfriend...?