viii. ━━ welcome to the jungle

· 。゚☆: *.
RUINS  
»»————- act one. uneven odds
EIGHT ━━ welcome to the jungle

and suddenly life wasn't about living it was about surviving

living it was about surviving

unknown

     EVERYTHING AROUND THEM WAS GREEN, HOT, AND HUMID as the four tributes sprinted through the jungle. It felt like she was running through a heat wave like the ones they experienced back home. Sweat ran down her skin like rain in thunderstorm while her lips already felt dry and pinched from the moisture.

     They ran a little longer until they were only surrounded by the lush life. "Okay, hold up, hold up!" Finnick panted heavily, crouching down to the dirt.

     Erin stopped placing her hands on her knees as she tried to catch her breath.

     "God, it's hot. We gotta find fresh water." Peeta broke the silence between the tributes

     The ring of three cannons going of prevented the others from responding to Peeta's statement.

      "Well, I guess they're not holding hands anymore." Finnick said, followed by a low chuckle.

     Erin tensed as she saw the hostile look Katniss was giving Finnick. "You think that's funny?" She asked in utter disbelieve.

     "Everytime that cannon goes off, it's music to my ears. I don't care about any of them." He shrugged, his grin never leaving his face.

     Katniss unsheated her machete and clasped it in both hands, wielding it. "Good to know." She said as Erin eyed her carefully one hand placed on the handle of her katana.

     "You want to face the career pack alone?" He question. "What would Haymitch say."

     "Haymitch isn't here." Katniss said while Erin glanced between the two warily.

     "Let's keep moving." Peeta spoke up and Erin nodded in agreement and stood up and she followed after Peeta as sheated her katana on her back.

     Seconds later Finnick fell in step with her and the two silently followed behind the district twelve tributes stealing glances at each other.

    The only sound the four tributes could hear as they hiked through the tropical forest, were the sound of their footsteps and the occasional chippers from birds.

    Erin kept her eyes trained on her surroundings and from the corner of her eye she could she Katniss looking behind her as Peeta cut through the thick vines with his machete.

     "Peeta, no!" Katniss scream and Erin's head snapped up towards where Peeta was a couple feet ahead

     Katniss warning seemed to be too late as he raised his machete to clear their path again, but instead of cutting the vines, spraks emitted from an invisible force, knocking Peeta back towards them.

     They all were knocked back and Erin slowly sat up, trying to steady herself she placed both hands firmly on the ground. She turned her head slightly to the left to see Finnick sitting up. "Are you okay?" He asked.

     "I'm fine." She nodded before turning to look at Peeta, steam coming from his body.

     "Peeta?" Katniss called out, but she didn't get a response. She quickly crawled over towards her district partner. "Peeta?"

    She held his face in her hands a frighten look on her face. "He's not breathing." She cried out.

     In that moment Erin realised that their love story wasn't made up, that Kaniss actually deeply cared about Peeta. She always thought it was an act, but seeing Katniss react like this proved otherwise and it looked like Finnick was thinking the same.

     "He's not breathing. He's not breathing." Katniss panicked, taking a few steps back.

     Within seconds, Finnick had pushed Katniss away from Peeta's liveless body, resulting in Katniss aiming her bow at him. Erin reacted quickly, pushing her bow down.

     When it dawned on Katniss that Finnick wasn't trying to kill Peeta, but trying to save his life, she aproached him. Katniss hovered by Finnick as he pressed his hands down just below the line of his chest in fast conpressions. Erin crawled besides them, watching the scene unfold.

     "Come on. Come on."

     "Peeta, please wake up." Katniss voice cracked.

     "Come one, Peeta." Erin whispered.

     Suddenly, Peeta gasped as he slowly opened his eyes again. Erin stepped away, giving the two lovers some privacy.

     Finnick followed, standing besides her. She could she his hands still trembling from the events that occured and she grabbed one of his hands in her own, giving it a small squeeze. "You saved him." She whispered.

     Finnick didn't say anything, but he gave her hand a small squeeze in return. They watched as Peeta and Katniss embraced each other with small smiles on their faces.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬