xx. ━━ heartaches

· 。゚☆: *.
RUINS
»»————- act two. fan the flames
TWENTY ━━ heartaches

it is both a blessing and a curse to feel everything so deeply

to feel everything so deeply

d.j

     THE ONLY SOUND IN THE DARK WHITE ROOM was that of the intake of shallow breathes and a faint beeping noise coming from the heart monitor.

      Her eyes were closed and her chocolate brown locks were sprawled over her pillow like small waves. The only signal that gave away the fact that she indeed was alive was the sight of her chest rising and falling at a steady pace.

     Erin's head was bandaged and all the cuts had been cleaned already, but the bruises were still there. They were a multitude of hues and colors that normally should not be on someones skin. There were garish purple splotches, roughly the size of a fist that still remained after the short period of time that had passed between the arena and their rescue.

     In a stool beside her bedside sat a young man with hair as dark as the night sky, he too had a purple hue decorate his skin only in the form of large bags beneath his brown eyes that showd he hadn't slept proparly in a long time.

     His eyes were glued to his little sister, laying motionlessly in the bed. He held on tightly to his sister's small hand.

     Her once soft hands now were rough and littered with small scars that would alway reminded them of the horrors that occured over the years.

     The horrors they all had overcome and survived.

     Alex firmly believed that this time, his little sister would survive again and come back stronger than she'd every been.

     After their father's sudden passing they had to fend for themselves and he had taken it upon himself to be the man of the house, but he couldn't protect his sister from the games.

     But he promised himself that now he woud do everything he could to make sure his sister would be out of danger.

     The sound of a door opening brought Alex back to reality as he turned in his seat to look over his shoulder.

     His brown eyes settled on Finnick's blue ones and he offered the man a small smile before turning his attention back to the brunette.

       "I see they finally cleared you." He spoke up, his voice soft but just above a whisper.

     Finnick nodded, his blonde hair a mess and his face littered with small cuts and bruises that were yet to heal. His eyes however lost their spark when they fell on Erin's unconscious body.

     "She still hasn't woken up?" He asked as he stepped closer to her bed, pushing a small strand of hair away.

     "No." Alex shook his head, his gaze averting to their interwined hands resting on the bed. "The doctor said she should wake up soon."

     Finnick sighed rubbing a hand over his tired face as he glanced at the older Benton. "So what's the damage?" He asked.

     "We don't know." Alex admitted, looking up at the blonde male. "The doctor said we couldn't know for sure what that hit caused until she wakes up."

     "Oh."

      "He also said it isn't sure she will wake up." He whispered, his brown eyes glazing over at the mere thought of his sister dying.

     "She will wake up." Finnick stated determined as small spark returing in his blue eyes as he looked at the brunette. "She is a fighter."

     "I know but one can cheat dead only so many times." Alex said bitterly. "All because of the Capitol." His voice was laced with venom as he thought about the cruelity President Snow had forced upon them.

     "She'll survive. I know she will." Finnick stated,  grabbing Erin's other hand. He rubbed small circles over the palm of her hand as he looked at the girl, silence taking over.

     Finnick closed his eyes as he listened to the steady sound of beeping from the heart monitor like it was his own lifeline. And in some way it was.

     Erin was his lifeline, she was his light in the dark, the one to keep him sane in the games. She was his rock and his home. While Erin still had her brother, Finnick didn't have any family left. Erin was his only family now and he didn't know what he would do with himself if she died.

     When Finnick opened his eyes again he noticed a good deal of time had passed since he came in the room.

     He glanced to his side to see Alex fast asleep, his head resting in the palm of his hand.

     The bags underneath, the oldest Benton were clearly visible and Finnick was sure the man hadn't slept in days, worrying about his siter all the time it was understandable.

     His eyes settled back on the brunette woman laying ont the bed and his eyes widened when he felt a small squeeze in his hand.

     Alerted his stared at the girl, his gaze not wavering from her closed eyelits and he held his breath when suddenly they started to flutter open.

     He felt a pressure drop from his shoulders when her brown eyes looked up at the ceiling of the white room and before the girl even realised she wasn't alone he wrapped his arms around her in a tight embrace.

      When he realised he could be hurting the brunette, Finnick slowly back away a bright smile on his face as he spoke. "Your awake."

     He knitted his eyebrows together, however when he looked back at Erin. Her eyes were fearful and confused as she backed away as far as she could from him, cowering back against the smooth wall behind her.

     And then it happened. That one sentence that broke his heart in a thousand pieces.

      "Who are you?"

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬