xvi. ━━ comfort of home

· 。゚☆: *.
RUINS  
»»————- act one. uneven odds
SIXTEEN ━━ comfort of home

we're made of flesh but we must act like we're made of iron

act like we're made of iron

unknown

SECONDS SEEMED MINUTES, MINUTES SEEMED hours and the hours seemed to last forever. A never ending torturous hell, that was set on repeat with no way of escaping. The shouts of despair and pleas for help had fallen from their lips like it was the one thing keeping them alive and from losing their last bit of sanity.

Erin didn't really remember when she stopped pounding on the wall of unbreakable glass or when the tears had stopped rolling down her cheeks, but as she watched Finnick and Katniss being tortured she had fallen in some kind of comatose state.

Her eyes were trained on Finnick's figure without blinking when finally the sounds of the jabberjays faded from the air and were replaced by the silent sobs of the two tributes.

Erin snapped out of her dream like daze and scrambled to her feet before rushing towards Finnick's aid while Peeta did the same for Katniss.

"Finnick." Her voice was soft and gentle like she was approaching a scared animal, but she couldn't help the small crack that found it's way to surface.

"Finnick." She repeated when the blonde man didn't respond and she carefully grabbed his face, placing it on her lap, caressing his head softly.

Finally he opened his eyes. "Erin." He whispered, tear stains were still clearly visble on his cheeks as he blinked, trying to see if she was really there or if the games were playing another trick on him to break him further.

"It's me. It over." She said calmly rubbing her thumb over his cheek softly. "They're gone."

She gently ran her fingers through his hair, giving him the comfort only she was able to provid. And slowly his heart beat went down and back to normal and it felt like she was his sunshine that chased the dark clouds away from him. She was the light at the end of the tunnel that made all the suffering worth it.

Carefully Finnick sat up again and quickly embraced the girl in front of him, hiding his face in the crook of her neck as Johanna approached the two.

"Are you okay?" Johanna asked.

He lifted his head up slightly looking at the axe-wielding girl. "Yeah, I'm fine." He said softly.

From the corner of her eye, Erin could see Peeta comforting a paranoid Katniss as the girl on fire was shaking her eyes wide and frantic like she was still searching for the voice that lured her in this trap and if Erin had to guess she was sure the voice had been Katniss sister.

The corner of Erin's mouth lifted up as she watched Peeta calm Katniss down and slowly the district twelve tribute relaxed in Peeta's hold.

"They won't hurt Prim."

"Your fiance is right. The whole country loves your sister." Johanna spoke up from where she was standing looking at the two. "If they tortured her, if they did anything to her." She shook her head. "Forget the district, there would be riots in the damn Capitol."

It seemed to Erin that at that moment, Johanna had lost al her cool as she turned to look up at the sky before shouting. "Hey how does that sound, Snow! What if we- what if we set your backyard on fire?! You know you can't put everybody in here!"

Everyone was staring at the dark-haired tribute in disbelieve and finally she caught sight of everyone staring at her.

"What?" She shrugged. "He can't hurt me. There is no one left that I love." She said softly. "I'll get you some water." She stated before swiftly turning around slicing all plant life away with her axe, trying to blow some steam off.

Erin silently followed after Finnick, their hands interwined and she sighed when the finally reached the beach.

The two district four tributes didn't say anything else as they walked into the water before sitting down as the waves gently crashed against their bodies.

She rested her head on his shoulder while her hand absentmindedly swirled around the water. If she closed her eyes it was just like she was back home on a sunny day at the beach. Fooling around with her brother and joking with Finnick, but even know with her eyes closed the fishing district didn't feel like home anymore.

She always thought the water was were she really belonged where she felt at peace, were she truly could be herself without anyone judging her, but she had realised that it wasn't her home.

Her home had a beating heart that pumped blood through his veins. Blonde hair that resembled the sun and gave her a warm feeling and eyes that gave her a comforting vibe of a place she dearly loved.

District four wasn't her home anymore, Finnick was her home.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬