Members' Favorite Fanfics: Blue

When writing this list I focused on the same features I critique on. Good story, conventions, and then compelling features. My ideal story combines the three of these to the best of its ability, especially stressing good story and compelling. These books have touched me in some way, and perhaps even taught me a lesson about life. I won't list an order because the best stories, like the best places on the globe, don't have a possible order. So without further ado, I give my favorite stories.

I Hate Everything About You - Master_Of_Illusions

This story was both typical and light-hearted, but rightfully serious at the correct moments. There is a reason it is a leader in the type of fic, and if you're looking for a fic with Gold and Silver then this is good. But those who think that these fics are typically not well written—do not be fooled. The story is enticing, and I won't hesitate to admit that I cry every time. Yes, it has a sequel which I'm typically not a fan of, but in the case of this book I can accept that and I do hope that Umber finishes it because it really does come from a good line of story that I can commend.

To Steal the Heart of a Thief - Serena-Daniels

This story was one of the few stories I have actively kept up with. While conventions could be worked on some, the characters of the story beyond redeem it in my eyes. As a fan of Shadows of Almia it was incredible to see how Serena took the characters from the story and gave them quirks, personality, and flaws. Plus it wasn't just about the romance between Rena and Keith. It was about the transformation of Rena and how she affected the people around her and how they changed. And it was great. Plus I liked the way the ending turned out. It was realistic and fitting. The romance too was good. It followed the rules of writing a good romance and, above all, was inspirational. So thank you, Serena.

Hail to the King - LogicalCabbage

This is a short story, but I love the portrayal of Cyrus as a character. It's compelling and conflicting in the right kind of way. To those who are gen IV people, it's nice to feel the nostalgia. Obviously it scored well in the Pokémon Watty Awards which vouches for my opinion, but I feel like this is the kind of story that is good for a moment where you want to read something enjoyable but concise. And it's this kind of writing that makes me happy that LC is coming back and appears to be writing books now.

Pokémon

Pokémon....A training start -Riahboo

This book, yes, was another romance, but it was different. It features the characters from the anime, but before you tune me out and write this book off just listen. It's different, mature in a sense. By that I mean the typical pattern of having Ash and co be stupid and childish is washed away in a sense. This story is about the gang exploring their feelings for each other and embracing growing up and maturing and, as a Pokémon fan, it's interesting to see that side of the series explored. To me, it felt like a strange sense of closure. Yes, there are ships, but I feel like the relationships are explored in a way that works. I've only ever read it once, but that's because it's one of those books that is difficult to read more than once because it's long. Not that I'm saying long is a bad thing. It's long and rewarding, and I like it.

Monopoly- Sheare

Monopoly- Sheare

Kat is an artist. The writing in this book is full of craft and vivid, but that's not what makes this book fit in this list. I think, first of all, this book is a pioneer for the type of genre that fits her well as a person. It's mature, cutthroat, and addresses her domain of knowledge well. And it shows. I like this story because, beyond being a well crafted and compelling story, reading it opened a whole new world to me. I had never seen a fic like this, and to me that was important because I know that Kat is proud of what she's accomplished, which makes it even more important. To me having pride in what you write and opening people's eyes is important. So thank you to this story for showing me a world that I never knew existed; it certainly deserves its spot in the list.