My Name is Loto by ImberLapis

My Name is Loto:

"It's tough being on your own in the nation of Caelum when you're a child. You have to fend for yourself in an unforgiving world of pirates, moral-less thieves and murderers, and airborne islands that spell death the moment you fall off one of them.

It's even tougher being somebody who everyone and their aunt wants to either kill or capture for a prize, all because you can, to put it simply and literally, "make magic happen."

But do you know what's even tougher than all of that? Being both of those along with having no memory of any of it along with every last shred of your past, even your last name.

So my name is Loto, and welcome to my world."

Genre: Adventure

My Name is Loto was unlike most books I've read when it comes to how dark it gets

My Name is Loto was unlike most books I've read when it comes to how dark it gets. I usually tend to stay away from these kinds of books, but this book brings a lot of humor, light-hearted characters, and has themes of hospitality that makes those darker themes a bit easier to read.

That's not to say that there are some graphic scenes that were a bit much (in terms of how bloody and crazy things got). Towards the climax of the story, Loto had already witnessed some pretty scarring and scary stuff. He has already been exposed to a lot of hardships, like death and life on the streets, which helped build up to the climax. I liked that the author did this as without it, the plot twist in the middle of the book would've been too sudden.

But while the book did get very dark at times, I was able to read it because the characters were very well written for the most part. The one that did the most growth in the entire book was Loto. He starts out as this naive, confused boy who doesn't remember much of anything. As time goes on, his personality starts to change a bit. It's gradual as he's slowly starting to let people into his life, becomes more aware of the people around him, and just grows up. I liked that a lot because he struggles to change, but he does because he has to learn how to survive in the world of Caelum. I really enjoyed reading his point of view.

This differs from another character in the story, Rangi. Huge *SPOILER ALERT* to those who haven't read the story, but while he is Loto's big brother, he's also the antagonist in the story. Rangi betrays his brother because Loto is a magician. I was shocked to read that Rangi would betray his own brother the way he did, even with the light foreshadowing the writer sprinkled in beforehand. When writers do that, I'm honestly am impressed and am in love. It took me a second read to find myself questioning how I missed those hints the first time, and that takes skill on the author's part.

That's not to say I necessarily liked Rangi. The plot twist he brought to the book was really nice, but his character was quite confusing. He starts out as this character who wants to take Loto away from the family he's been staying with for two years because they're one of the last members in their family. His eagerness to get Loto home is understandable—after all, it's been years since they've seen each other—but something's not right. When I first read it (being I had to read this section twice to understand why Rangi would betray his brother) I just thought it was because of their grandmother back home, or the fact that the Noseks were Normal-Type magicians, something that clearly bothered Rangi a bit. When he turned on Loto, I was very disappointed in him.