Heart of Steel by ImberLapis

Heart of Steel:

"Steven Stone: Champion of the Hoenn region, Mega Evolution user, and avid stone collector. No one knows his past, or how he even came to be Champion. But there's a reason why those events remain untold.

Nine years before the Hoenn Primal Crisis, a younger Steven Stone has been forced to study for most of his life to prepare for becoming the next president of the Devon Corporation. His entire life changes when he receives Meteor, a Beldum with companionship to offer and more than enough to say about it. Once the duo take part in and win their first battle, Steven realizes that he's meant to be a Pokémon Trainer and eventually leaves home. 

Not long into his travels, Steven encounters an organization of people with twisted morals and an even more twisted way of expressing them. It doesn't take long to discover what they want- him. With assistance from Meteor, a few new allies, and an intriguing girl named Arietta, Steven can only hope he's able to elude capture so the organization won't ensure the downfall of not only the Devon Corporation, but potentially Hoenn itself."

Genre: fanfiction, adventure

Steven Stone is one of the most loved Pokémon Champions today. From his excellent character design to his challenging team, there's much to love about the Hoenn native. Audiences adore him so much that there are thousands of fanfictions featuring his presence just on Wattpad. Most of these stories treat Steven as a love interest for their main characters, but ImberLapis' Heart of Steel takes a different approach.

HoS reimagines Steven's character as the author creates a tragic backstory for him. Steven's cool, calm, and collected Champion's adult personality is unrecognizable as the majority of HoS focuses on the young, anxiety-ridden 16-year-old Steven Stone. This coming-of-age fic can deter readers just because of how drastically different Steven acts in comparison to his canon self.

Even so, arguably the fic's biggest strength is the gradual character development that takes place over the entire story as opposed to just a few chapters. Steven is a likeable, complex, rounded, and dynamic main character. It's quite rare to see a Wattpad writer treat Steven with respect and flesh him out as he's often stuck with a cardboard personality and always dishes out flat responses.

Speaking of Steven, I can't talk about him without mentioning his partner in crime: Meteor. This iconic Metagross is the best sidekick I've ever come across in any Pokéfic. Despite being a Pokémon, the writer gives him a real personality that balances out Steven's. While Steven is serious and nervous, Meteor is humorous and confident. They might seem polar, but their chemistry is immaculate. It's fantastic to see a writer give their MC's Pokémon team screen time as active characters who help out in situations that aren't just battles.

As for the rest of the cast, they are decent. Readers are familiar enough with them to remember who they were and what they did. Even characters in the beginning who seem rather bland end up having their backstories explored so their motivations are explained. This ranges from Steven's main traveling companions to admins of a villainous team set on gaining power.