The Aura Within - by MysticalTactician

The Aura Within:

"Kanto knows the pain of war: the conflicts, the corruption, and the deaths. Ever since the nation suffered its first civil war, Kanto has continued to thrive under the reign of Queen Rin. However, she lost many of her knights in battle including her right hand man, Andrew Fraverden. His only daughter and successor to his power became orphaned, but not until Queen Rin takes her in. In her father's legacy, Soul trained vigorously and faced any kind of discrimination in order to become what her father once was: an aura guardian.

With the help of Queen Rin's best knight, Sir Aaron, she was able to achieve that at a young age. However, it seems that another war between two foreign nations might just make its way onto Kanto's land. In order to prevent another tragedy, Soul, Sir Aaron, and four more knights are sent out to gather more information to prevent another war. However, it seems that this journey is more than what Soul bargained for, especially with the mysterious pasts of her comrades.

Is it possible for history to repeat itself once more? Will the knights be able to prevent another battle and protect the Kingdom of Rota?"

Genre: fanfiction, historical fiction, action adventure

Sword-fighting, aura-wielding, and heartbreaking galore

Sword-fighting, aura-wielding, and heartbreaking galore. The Aura Within by MysticalTactician describes an alternate Pokémon universe full of medieval warfare fought by gallant knights seeking peace.

I love the fantastical land crafted in the story. The world building was excellent from the concept of aura guardians themselves to the way smaller cities were converted to villages and even how each region had a crest of their respective legendary Pokémon. Every chapter does a great job capturing the atmosphere, especially the fantastic action scenes.

The only problem description-wise was a minor one: whenever characters were talking, their eye colors were referred to once every three/four sentences. I had the phrase "Soul's sea green eyes" imprinted in my brain by the time I was finished reading.

I was surprised to see that the focus was placed on the characters instead of the plot. Rather than the adventure forcing the cast into dire situations, the several conflicts emerge from the characters' dark pasts in fitting ways.

Interestingly enough, the way TAW is presented reminds me of an anime with the traits the cast displays. Tropes you find in the Japanese medium appear in the story, such as an energetic, non-human sidekick and a cool senpai-like figure. This wasn't a problem (taking inspiration from tropes) because the author gave the characters depth instead of keeping them one-dimensional pieces of cardboard; everyone was fleshed out with their own personal motivations.

However, there can be too much of a good thing. I'd prefer a smaller cast since six major original characters, each with their own tragic past, is a lot for readers to take in. Thankfully their backstories are separated into episode-like sections, but it's difficult to keep track of when you're a reader like myself who takes a week or so to complete a 60k+ fanfiction.