Chapter 46

Zachariah

I wasn't sure if I was dreaming her up, but I saw Sara in the kitchen, stirring something on the hob then testing it out and making a twisted face as the taste didn't come out to her liking.

I had finally gotten up after four days and felt like I was learning how to walk again as I made my way to the kitchen. At first I just stood there leaning against the counter with my arms folded watching Sara move around from cupboard to cupboard, preparing something. She didn't look at me even though she heard my presence and didn't mind me watch her for the next half an hour or so.

Eventually when I got bored I walked over to her and was about to wrap my arm around her from the back, but then she turns around and slips in a spoon to my mouth. I swallow something salty and lick my lips and then she gives me a satisfied smile and carries on working, slyly slipping away from my reach.

I follow her again feeling lost without her. I just needed her by my side but then she steps to the side without a word and walks behind me for some kitchen towels.

The next few minutes continue to go by like that. Everytime she would avoid me as she prepares food, and right after I would follow her trying to get just one hug. And just when I think she will stay still and let me hold her for a bit she turns around and puts another spoonful of something salty in my mouth.

Hmmm...I'm not so sure I'm enjoying this dream much.

Eventually I just learn to stay in one place and watch her from afar as she gets on with what she's doing. She wouldn't say anything and occasionally she would just look to smile at me.

Sara sets two bowls on the table and walks off into the bathroom and after waiting a while, I walk back to my bedroom. The silence was killing me and Sara won't even say a word this morning.

Dear Allah, If this is a dream then I would like a new one please.

I pull back the duvets ready to get back in bed but then I feel Sara's hand on mine stopping me, and when I look back she is shaking her head at me telling me 'no more bed'.

She leads me back to the table and sits me down on the floor and takes the place opposite.

I really did feel like a lost puppy and I probably did look like one too. There was still no talking between us and I was beginning to feel fully convinced that this was a dream after all. A strange kind of one.

Sara picked up my spoon and held some soup to my mouth gesturing for me to open my mouth, and I did as told without taking my eyes off her. She would feed me and occasionally in between she would feed herself too.

It wasn't until Sara smiles and gets up that I realise I had finished the whole bowl of soup and another bowl of something else while I was busy staring at her.

I watch her wash the bowl, and when I walk up from behind her she lets me rest my head on her as she washes up the bowls and pans she had used. I got the feeling that she let me do that as my reward for finishing my soup.

I think I'm finally starting to feel much better.

Sara

I let Zach sleep for a while and Alhamdulillah he was slowly starting to feel better. I took this as my chance to pray my Salah and made a lengthy Dua for my dad, myself and Zach. I praised Allah a lot, since it was with his help Zach was able to get better. The colour on his skin was returning again. Alhamdulillah!

I finished my Salah and got up removing my scarf only to find Zach sitting up, wide awake. It seemed he had been watching me for a while. I smile at him but he doesn't return it.