Chapter 47

Sara

"Yes dad. We're coming within half an hour."

"Okay drive safe and come quickly."

"We will."

"Was it really necessary to stay for 3 days in wherever it is you stayed at?"

I bite my lip. I didn't really want my dad knowing what had happened with Zach and I don't think Zach would appreciate anyone knowing either. "Yeah It was..kinda."

"Okay well as long as you're with Zachariah then go wherever it is you like to go, just tell me where you are next time when the both of you decide to disappear like that."

"Yeah. Don't worry dad it won't happen agaaagh!" I promise just as Zach appears from behind poking my sides and then smiles at me, innocently.

"What? What happened?" Dads voice raises in concern.

"Nothing dad. Just...something rammed into my side." I shoot a quick glare at Zach but he had our stuff in his hands and the door held open for me. "Okay dad see you in a bit. I'm leaving now."

"Okay then AssalamuAlaykum."

"Wa AlaykumAssalam." I end the call and then turn on Zach, hands on hip.

"Don't do that again." I threaten Zach with glowering eyes.

"Yes Ma'am." He mock salutes me with a cheeky grin.

I push past him on my way out smiling and eventually he locks the door and catches up.

Spending three whole days in the apartment had Zach back to his usual self again, and he was starting to get right back to his normal routine of annoying me. At least we hadn't fought much except for the few arguments about Fajr.

Zach thought I would let him off for Fajr, but clearly he was mistaken because there was no excuse for missing Fajr, not even for someone who was going through difficulty. In fact it was more of a reason to pray because of the difficulty.

"Shall we grab lunch on our way there?" Zach leans towards me and I hit him when his chin grazes my shoulder.

"Stay in your place." I scold him. He gives me a puzzled look of innocence as if he hadn't done anything.

"I'm getting us some lunch. What do you want?" He pulled the car over and parked near a black range rover.

"I'll come with you." I say already getting out.

The queue was quite long and so we waited for around five minutes until we got served each getting a baguette and a can of drink.

"Wait did they give us straws?" Zach asks. 

I look into the bag and shake my head. "No."

"Hang on. I'll go and get them." He says leaving me on my own.

"Okay." I rest the food on the hood of the car and check my phones reflection to see if my scarf was sitting right. I pull the front bit forward making sure it covered my chest. There seemed to be a few young boys messing around by the black range rover so I kept my gaze low and tapped my fingers while waiting for Zach to get back, he was already in the queue with three people in front of him. I waved to him and he smiled back.

Having Zach back felt so right. I just felt so happy whenever I was with him. He made me feel safe and that's what I really needed. I just hoped and prayed that things would only get better from now on.

***

Nancy opened the door for us and Dad came almost immediately, embracing me into a bear hug. I had really missed those bear hugs because it would feel like home no matter where we were.