chapter 29

Ana pov:

"Ana wake up!"

I groaned drowning out Mia's voice and shifting on the thin mattress.

"Ana, are you alright?"

"Ana"

Huffing I gave up my sleep and rolled around to her voice.

"I am sore and tired but besides that I am fine."

"I am sorry Ana, I couldn't do anything." She whimpered.

"Yeah, me too Ana. It was terrifying to see you getting whipped," Ashley said.

"Nobody could have done anything except getting punishment for themselves as well. They are werewolves." I said sighing.

"What are we going to do Ana? Today's that ritual that Gavin was talking about. Are we really gonna die?" Mia stuttered.

"I think so if my mate or anyone else didn't come to our rescue when we are all cadaverous." I heard other girls gasp on what I said.

I know the guards were listening in our conversation. So, I showed the response that they were expecting. My only window to escape is during the ritual. I do not know the specifics but it will be the only time we will be outside. I heard that Oracle tell Gavin that the ceremony will be at Midnight when the moon will be at its peak.

I just have to rest and gather my energy. I don't know how but my wounds are healing quickly. They are hidden by my shirt or else everybody would notice. The pain is bearable and it is diminishing even further by every passing minute. I am thankful for the mate bond or moon goddess or whoever deity is it that's making it possible.

At night the guards brought all the girls to the grounds where the Oracle and Gavin were present. I quickly observed my surroundings and found that a few guards were posted on the forest line while the entire ground was empty.

The Oracle Olivia was drawing some ancient looking markings on the floor. Then she placed some items like a bowl of blood, a flesh heart, a crown of bones, a moonstone,  some herbs and black dust.

Gavin stood at one end talking to a guy whose back was to us. It looks like he was ordering the guy about something.

"Alpha Gavin, the markings are done. We are ready for the ritual," Oracle Olivia informed him.

"Very well Olivia, Martin go, be on high alert. I don't want any disturbance during the ritual. If those pack mutts attempt to do anything, you know what to do to them. Do not let anyone disturb me or the ritual," Gavin sneered.

"Yes Alpha," the guy Martin turned around and winked directly at me. I immediately recognised him as the person who found me hiding in the tree roots and brought me here. He must be an important soldier if Gavin trusted him with the security.

Gavin entered the circle and motioned Olivia to start the ritual. The guards brought us in the circle surrounding Gavin from all sides. He wore gloves and took out a silver dagger from its cover. Meanwhile, Olivia stood outside the circle and started chanting in some weird language.

"Don't worry girls, I promise to make your sacrifice for me as painless as possible." He sat down in the middle, closed his eyes and started chanting with Olivia.

Seeing it as the perfect moment as both were focused on chanting, I signalled Mia and the other girls. They quickly understood my gestures and started to untie the ropes.

The winds picked up around us and I know that the ritual has something to do with that. I freed myself and helped others one by one. As soon as we were all free, I signalled to move towards the forest without making any noise. Olivia and Gavin were still occupied by the chanting and the guards were nowhere to be seen.