Chapter 6- Meeting Erwin

I took a look around and I was surprised at who decided to stay and join the survey corps. Mikasa and Armin joined of course, Jean did too, and so did Sasha and Connie. I was glad to see that my closest comrades stayed. I could tell that almost everyone was scared, but they were brave enough to be there. My dad welcomed us all with a salute.

After the ceremony, Sasha came over to me, "so, are you going to tell him now?" she asked.

"Yes, I think now would be a good time to introduce myself," I replied.

"Yay, good luck," she said with a grin on her face.

I walked toward where my dad was standing on the platform, and he was talking to some other scouts. There were a few other recruits ahead of me waiting to introduce themselves to the Commander. I began to feel nervous as I got closer to meeting him. I had never even talked to the man before, how was I supposed to tell him he was my father? My heart was pounding as I thought about what I was going to say to him. After what felt like forever, it was my turn to introduce myself. I stood in front of him and he reached out his hand, "nice to meet you, my name is Erwin Smith."

I shook his hand and replied, "I'm y/n Smith, nice to meet you." That was all that came out of my mouth.

I stood there in awe for a few seconds and then he said, "well y/n, welcome to the team. I look forward to working with you."

"Yeah, uh, me too," was all I could say. Then I saluted and walked away. I probably looked like such an idiot to him. 'Shit,' I thought to myself. 'I guess Smith is a pretty common last name.' I felt so stupid and angry with myself. Why couldn't I tell him? What was wrong with me? He was the reason I was there, joining the survey corps, and he had no idea who I was. I had been so sure about everything up until that point, but now I felt lost again. I couldn't just let everything I had worked for slip away from me like that.

After contemplating my life for a few minutes, I dragged myself over to Sasha and the others so that I wouldn't feel so horrible. "Y/n! How'd it go?" Sasha questioned.

"I couldn't do it," was my answer.

"Wait, you didn't tell him?" Connie asked.

"What? How do you- Sasha, you told them?!" I turned toward Sasha, obviously annoyed.

"I'm sorry! I'm so bad at keeping secrets and my mouth just has a mind of its own and I thought you were going to tell him right now!" Sasha cried.

I stood there, shocked and confused for a moment before turning to the rest of the group, "so... you all know about my dad then?"

"Yeah," a few of them replied at the same time.

"Oh, great, okay," I said, not having anything better to say.

We all stood there in silence for a bit until until Sasha asked, "so why exactly couldn't you tell him?"

I thought for a moment and replied, "I don't know really, I just panicked." I honestly didn't know why I couldn't tell him, "I guess I just got scared," I added.

"Scared of what?" Jean chipped in.

"I don't know, um, I guess just scared about what he would say or do, I don't know." I didn't know how to explain what I was feeling in that moment. Now that I was thinking about it more, I was coming up with excuses. "I think maybe I just need to get to know him a little better or like get closer to him before telling him he's my dad. I mean I can't just walk up to a stranger and say 'hey, you're my dad' can I? I mean what would he even say to that? He probably wouldn't believe me. I need to like be more comfortable with him first I think." I rambled on to my comrades who didn't know what to say to me. "Uh.... what do you guys think I should do?"

No one knew what to say, I could tell they were all trying to think of something, but I wasn't getting any responses. Finally, Sasha had some input, "you need to tell him. Why don't you practice what you're going to say tonight, and tell him tomorrow. Don't worry, we'll all make sure you do it."