Chapter 34- The Proposal

I had felt nothing but bliss for the past couple months. Being with Levi was like a dream. I knew in the back of my mind that the dream was destined to end eventually, but I just wanted to live in the moment.

Levi was surprisingly still asleep when I woke. It was rare that I got the chance to watch him sleep, so I took in the view with a smile on my face. He must have somehow sensed my stare, because he woke up just a few seconds later to my face right in front of his. "Geez," he groaned at the sight of me, before turning away.

"Wow, am I THAT repulsive?" I complained with my mouth agape in shock. "You're so rude," I gave him a light shove in annoyance before turning away.

"Shut up," he said as he shifted around and wrapped his arms around me from behind.

"I hate you," I responded to his rude remarks.

"I love you," he said as he started kissing my neck, instantly making me forget why I was mad. I turned back around to face him so that we could get in a full make out session before starting the day.

Once we were finished lip locking, I snuggled up to him again, wishing never to leave. "I wish we could stay like this forever," I mumbled into his chest. With the mission to retake wall Maria coming up in just a couple days, I knew this bliss I was feeling would come to an end.

"Marry me." I was instantly pulled out of my thoughts by his words.

"What?" I shot up immediately.

"Marry me," he repeated, sitting up with me,"and we'll stay like this forever."

"Wha- I- for real...?" I struggled to get words out as I stared at him in shock. "Y-you're not serious, are you?"

"I'm dead serious. I've been thinking about this for a while now."

"I- I don't know what to say, I mean, I love you, obviously-"

"How about a yes or a no?"

"Yes...?" I answered nervously.

"...You don't sound sure..."

"Well, it's just- I mean we have the mission coming a-and we have no idea what's gonna happen out there, or like anywhere- and the future is just so uncertain," I rambled on trying to process my answer.

"You don't have to marry me if you don't want to..." he replied rather calmly.

"It's not that I don't want to, it's just... what if we don't make it back...?" The mission to reach Eren's basement was just days away at this point, and reality was hitting hard. While it's grim, it's something that had been on my mind.

"We will."

"You don't know that. I mean, yeah you'll probably survive, but I can't say the same for myself."

"You will. I'll make sure of it." Levi was being strangely optimistic. I feel like the roles are usually reversed. Why am I feeling so hopeless now?

"Levi, you can't protect me the whole time. We have no idea what will happen out there. You'll have more important things to worry about."

"Nothing is more important than you. You will make it back safely. I'll do whatever it takes. Erwin left me in charge of the syringe, I won't hesitate to use it on you if it comes to that." I wasn't really sure how to respond to that, so we just sat there in silence for a moment. He was waiting for an answer, but no words were coming out of my mouth. "Look, you don't have to give me an answer right now, take some time to think about it if you want."

I hated seeing the disappointment on his face. I guess his love for me is unquestionable at this point. I simply smiled and cupped his face in my hand as I stared into his loving eyes. "Levi, of course I'll marry you. I love you."

I knew there was still no guarantee that both of us would make it back safely, and the truth is I really didn't want him worrying about me, but I pushed aside every bad thought I had. There's no way I could turn down the love of my life's proposal. At least this way, I could die knowing I was engaged to marry the man I love.

"I'm sorry I don't have a ring or anything, this wasn't exactly the most romantic proposal..." Levi apologized.

"No, this is perfect." I couldn't see any flaws in his proposal, except my own inhibitions. I'm the one who ruined it. "I wouldn't want it any other way. Besides, I have a ring I can use." I proceeded to search through my things to find the box that held my mother's old ring, then I put it on. I showed Levi my hand, "look, isn't it perfect?"

"It is," he replied before pulling me back into bed. And before I knew it, we were getting it on again.