12

***

        "My wine," the Empress ordered with annoyance. 

        She closed her eyes as her maids rushed to fix her a cup of wine. The women began to work together, scanning each wine vessel with their fearful eyes. The Empress opened her eyes and Empress held the cup to her lips. She looked down at her lady-in-waiting from her seat with thought.

        "I thought I could count on you," the Empress said before popping a grape in her mouth.

        She knew she was a dominant figure. Her lady-in-waiting was just a peasant girl who had nothing to live for. Her purpose was to serve the Empress. That was it. The Empress was allowed to disrespect her lady-in-waiting, and practically treat her like a slave. As many concubines were quite fond of their ladies-in-waiting, the Empress didn't like the idea of having companions. Her role as an Empress is already a gift to her and could benefit her more than friends could. Although she tries her best to distance herself from her lady-in-waiting, she still speaks to her at times. 

        Her lady-in-waiting quickly bowed to her. "Please forgive me for my incompetence, Your Majesty! I have no clue on how to—"

        "It's fine. I forgive you. She rose from her throne-like chair, casually scanning her maids with a frown. "I am in a private conversation with my lady-in-waiting. You may all be dismissed."

        "Yes, Your Majesty," the maids replied in unison as they rushed out of the hall.

         The Empress, Nian Shu, walked around the room. Her jewellery from her headpiece dangled elegantly which complimented everything about her. Nian Shu was beautiful, there was no doubt about it. Everyone in the whole entirety of the Forbidden City knew that the Empress's appearance was always up to par. Not only was beauty valued, but talent was also. She was forced into musical instruments at a young age—her mother would sometimes make her stay up at night to practice dancing. Nian Shu was a great performer. Before marrying the Emperor, Shi Zhong, Nian Shu was admired by many because of her instrument skills. Her flawless, pale white skin, structured cheekbones, and high bridge of the nose attracted many suitors, but her father only sought the Emperor as a husband for his daughter. Born to an upper-class household, Nian Shu and the Emperor's marriage was strictly political. However, they both did fall in love at one point.

        Nian Shu has always been spoiled. Before stepping foot in her large palace, she had all the wealth, clothing, and experience she needed to look good and succeed. There was one problem. Due to her low self-esteem from a lack of interaction with women—besides her mother—she never had a good friend by her side. The Empress grew up with two brothers, one died of a serious illness when she was only thirteen, and the other works as a high-ranking government official in Chang'An. Running the harem, the Empress smiled at everyone, included all the concubines in activities, and every week would prepare little gifts for all of them. However, unfortunate events unfolded before her eyes, and the Emperor didn't love her as much as he did before. Now, she enjoys her free time by picking on the lowly servants and concubines.

        The Empress, dressed in her beautiful, red brocade hanfu, younger and youthful stormed into her palace. It was a rainy spring day, but she remained dry. Her mother scrunched her nose as the daughter walked in. A mother knows when her child is distressed. "What happened this time?"

        "How come His Majesty has to love all these other wenches, mother? I can give him as many children as he wants," she whined. 

        "Yet, you haven't," her mother responded, nonchalantly. She took a long sip of tea holding her teacup before gently placing it back on the saucer. "Did you drink the fertility medicine today? I know you're busy but not drinking it is not an excuse. It takes a few seconds. Maybe you aren't drinking enough..."