24

I was awakened by Hua Er's irritable snoring. They only occur when she's sleeping on my bed specifically. Her snoring was loud. I remember she told me that she never passed the test to become one of the concubines due to her terrible snoring. A few years back, the Grand Empress Dowager was stricter when it came to the rules of being a concubine, and had a variety of things the concubines should or should not have. This might sound cruel, but I'm sort of relieved she passed away. Nonetheless, I doubt only snoring caused Hua Er much trauma from the Palace, but she remained reserved when she talked about her experience.

        I pulled my blanket away from my face and turned to my side. I groaned when the quiet footsteps of my maids grew closer. "You must be kidding me..."

        "We apologize, milady," my four maids kneeled. "But, you are in luck! Greeting the Empress will be later today. There will be an opera theatre performance in Jiaofang Hall later today."

        "This early in the morning..." I muttered under my breath as I threw my pillow against my face.

        "It's one in the evening, Lady Ying Yue." Chen Xi, one of my maids, hesitated with the response.

        I still kept the same habits from my own era.

        "Get up! Time to dress you up!" Guan Shu shouted in excitement as she towered over me. She beamed brightly at me, and how I wondered why she was always so cheerful in the morning.

        The dimness of my chamber made me want to sleep for eternity. Living in a semi-royal way and in a medium-sized chamber, you'd expect to be able to contain enough vitamin D. There was barely any light in my chamber; there was just one small, lonely window that stayed to itself. Even at night, I could open it up a little and still couldn't feel any breeze against my skin. My blanket was pulled away by Guan Shu and my body felt the chilly airflow brushing against my arm hairs. My irritation grew. Guan Shu and I were playing tug of war with my blanket. I was tightly holding onto the flocculent texture. "Ah! Why would I want to see an opera performance? And can I say I'm sick so I don't have to greet the Empress?" 

       With greeting the Empress, there were times when we were excused. Sometimes the Empress calls it off because she felt tired or busy. I wish she continued to feel tired and busy... every day. I zone out a lot. They talk about the Emperor, keeping your health and beauty up to par, and a bunch of other stuff that I'd hate to listen to. However, I secretly do like their beauty hacks. Those are interesting. But I don't need much advice. I eat healthily—I had no choice, get my daily exercise—I do pilates, maintain glowing, rejuvenated skin, and always make sure my makeup is set on my face right. I like to listen to them, but not speak. Knowing that some of these girls have a disliking for me, I wouldn't want to cause more attention on myself than there already is. I'd sit silently and nod when I must. The Empress could not care less about me, and vice versa. The concubines that also attend look at me as if I was an alien. I was isolated at times. 

        I felt a soft object hit the side of my face, agitating me even more. I lifted my upper torso up and groaned ferociously. "Who threw that?"

        "Me... Just let them dress you and let me sleep!" Hua Er sassed, she rolled on her side and faced her back against me.

        Hua Er and I have become very close, as whoever hears our conversations can tell. We had a sisterly relationship. By a sisterly relationship, a love-hate relationship would be a more specific term. We were easily comfortable to insult and taunt each other playfully. Hua Er was timid and gentle, while I was confident and bold. Like the Yin and Yang symbol, we were quite the opposite. Even with our differences, we still had a strong bond. Living with her, breathing the same air as her, and being in her presence made me want to take her back home with me.