34

"Your Grace." We bowed as she approached us nonchalantly.  Behind us, were her maids. I recognized Lei Shu. It has been a long time since I've seen her, but I had no energy to smile at her so I nodded at her politely.

        Two physicians walked past the maids and rushed quickly to Su Yin's location. Their faces were hard to read as they unwrapped her body. One of them carried a large container of warm water, and the older physician dipped the container in and cupped the water. I know it was wrong of me to judge ancient Chinese medicine, but I was afraid that they wouldn't know what to do with Su Yin. She was freezing. I suspected she needed a warm bath. 

        Chang Ying paced behind and ushered me out of the room. "It'll be alright." And right when she said it, I immediately remembered that Su Yin was pregnant. I had to ask for confirmation. 

        "She's... pregnant?" I asked, but I couldn't keep my eyes off of her shivering body. I backed away. I couldn't believe it. I had an expression of a dead fish on my face because Su Yin being pregnant was so shocking. Since she remained as an Imperial Concubine for so long, I couldn't picture the image of the Emperor with her. Not because she wasn't enough for him, but Su Yin herself said that it was hard for her to rank up. The Emperor chose her at one point and they had intercourse. It was harsh for me to say this, but I didn't know whether to be happy for her or feel upset for myself. The Emperor was seeing one of my close friends in the harem. But it was the harem. It was how things were meant to be. Realizing this, made me sympathize with the Empress and the rest of the girls. How could they tolerate this?

        "How long has she been pregnant?" I whispered in Chang Ying's ear.

        Chang Ying thought for a second. "I'm not sure but she discovered she was pregnant two days ago. Su Yin missed her period and vomited in the morning. She could be approximately three weeks pregnant." 

        She never told me she was pregnant.

        "Your Grace, Noble Consort Jiao is keeping the coal to herself!"

        "Where is it?" Chang Ying asked. 

         She had a grim expression on her face that made the consort shrink. Chang Ying was intimidating but polite. I noticed that before but I haven't processed it until now. The way she disciplined a concubine was like how a mother scolds her children. Surprisingly, it worked. Noble Consort Jiao let out an annoyed exhale and gave her lady-in-waiting a look. Not so long after, her lady-in-waiting came back with a large pot of coal. 

       I raised my eyebrows in shock at the extreme quantities of coal left over. This girl was psychotic. With this amount, it could've heated the entire residence and made it feel like an oven.

        The lady-in-waiting dropped the pot and it hit the ground loudly. Chang Ying widened her eyes and gasped.

        "I cannot believe this kind of behaviour still exists. You almost murdered one of His Majesty's children by attempting to freeze a pregnant concubine to death," Chang Ying yelled, her finger was wagging at Noble Consort Jiao as she spoke. She looked at all of us. "Who didn't receive coal?"

        A majority of the girls raised their hands. I stood there awkwardly because I didn't even know if I had coal or not. It was pretty cold in my room but I lived in Canada all my life. I was used to it.

        Chang Ying's pursed lips separated. Her eyes were piercing. Chang Ying shook her head in disapproval while looking at the nearest eunuch. "Notify Her Majesty, now."

        "Wait, no! Please! It was a misunderstanding! I wasn't trying to harm her," the consort pleaded. She dropped down onto her knees quickly and clasped her hands together and begged. "Your Grace, please! It wasn't intentional!"