31

A large group of men swarmed in the room but passed the drawers. They stormed out of the room. I was safe... well, not quite. It took me a few seconds to take in what had happened. I crawled out of the humid hiding spot and kicked the glass pieces away from me.

        A high-pitched scream was heard and a eunuch yelled, "Protect the Empress Dowager!" I knew I had to get out of here. I made my way out of the room but was alarmed to see the men in all black. They looked extremely similar to the men I fought when I was accompanying the Emperor. They must be from the same clan or group or organization or—

        Focus. 

        I sprinted out of the chamber to follow the screaming. As I looked around the large empty hall, I noticed that Jaxon had left. Swords started to clash against each other, men started to grunt, and I started to fear for my life. This was happening. This was really happening. My breaths started to get abnormal but my brain still had gears spinning. I grabbed the nearest weapon in the hall (which was a weird triangular lamp) and rushed to the Empress Dowager's rescue. 

        Never in a million years did I think I'd be doing this. The enormous amount of time I've spent practicing self-defence was put to good use, but I'd never think I would use it for this purpose.

        I lunged forward into the room to see palace guards and the assassins fighting. They were risking their lives for this. It seemed to me that it was a tie. The assassins had black cloth-like costumes that covered their face except for their eyes, like ninjas... It was fascinating to watch them, but I had to keep in mind that I am walking into a dangerous route. My eyes wandered off to the Empress Dowager. Jaxon was shielding her, completely focusing on countering the men's attacks.

        The lamp was cold and heavy but I could manage. I threw my arm that held the lamp up and swung it across the nearest assassin's face, knocking him out cold. More and more began to tower over me and I soon panicked. 

        "Is that one of the Emperor's women?" one had said, licking his lips. 

        "Well, it sure is... Today is our lucky day—" the man beside him began but didn't expect a hard upper kick under his chin. 

        I felt hot under the hanfu as I fought with my best to take down these fools. I dropped the lamp and attempted to dodge a close swing of a sword, but it slashed my left neck. I winced at the pain. It felt like a long, painful papercut. I placed my index and middle finger on the slash, trying my best not to overreact. I then gripped the sword by its handle and kicked the owner of the sword in the stomach. With the sword, I was invincible—although my swordsmanship wasn't that good. I used to practice with a fake lightsaber in my room. I think I was pretty good at it. If I auditioned for a Star Wars scene, I would've made the part.

        Enemy bodies—corpses—hit the floor and the allies and I heavily breathed in the air from the sweaty Imperial room. 

        "Noble Consort Han..." Empress Dowager said in a soothing yet stern way. 

        "Peace and longevity to the Empress Dowager." I hastily got on my knees and kowtowed to her, knowing that this might be the last time I set foot in this place. Why? Because she'll have my head in a few seconds. Many guards followed my movement.

        The Empress Dowager smoothed down her silk-like hair that still looked healthy but ninety percent of it was grey. Her piercing brown eyes remained fresh, and her lips did not thin as they were supposed to. The Empress Dowager shuffled under the blankets, still in shock but remained a calm demeanour. "May I ask why you're here?"

        "I—" I began. 

        "Actually," the Empress Dowager paused. She contemplated for a few seconds and nodded to herself. "You and these guards rescued me. I am not going to question why you were near my residence, I will forgive you this time... like I did the last time. But Ying Yue..."