THE EMPEROR (ALT ENDING)

"Goodbye, Ying Yue," he whispered.

        Goosebumps were beginning to form on my arms. I almost shivered at the silk-like voice against my ears.

        "Goodbye, Your Majesty," I replied. I cleared my throat soon after. "Also, watch out for the Mongolians... They... they invade years later."

        Why did I say that?

        The Emperor knitted his eyebrows at me and gave me a weird look. "I will..."

        We gave each other one last look before he turned around and walked away. I watched him walk, and when he was at a distance, I turned around and opened the doors. He didn't look back. I was glad he didn't. My heart hurt and not because I loved him, but because I'd leave a place that I had too many memories in.

        I was the Empress, for goodness sake, of course, it hurt to leave this place.

        When I stepped into the bathhouse, the ingredients were already infused with the steamy water. The pair of clothes I wore before was folded neatly on the ground. I still kept my designer shoes. I always had my Gucci shoes on.

        They were worn out but I liked it like that. This pair of shoes have been with me ever since I woke up here. I grew out of it, it wasn't my type of thing anymore. But, I will forever keep it with me because these shoes carried a lot of significance. 

        Jaxon had the same look on his face. He wanted to tell me something... He pitied me almost. As he buttoned his jeans, he turned to face me. "Carmen, it's not too late to just stay. You can go home anytime."

       "Jaxon, you know that I can't," I shook my head. "I..."

      He realised I was noticeably upset. My eyes were watery when I walked in. The Emperor was walking away, and so was I. It wasn't as sad as it was supposed to be—I could come back anytime. Just thinking about only seeing the Emperor once a few times hurt me. There was an aching feeling in my heart that I've never felt before.

      Jaxon broke the silence. "If you want to stay, you are allowed to stay. No one is holding you back. We can go back so you can see your family. After that, you are allowed to come back."

      "You realise that if I stay here... If I choose this destination, it will be the biggest change in my life? I don't know if I can do this," I shook my head. Tears rolled down my cheeks and Jaxon rushed to comfort me. "I-I don't know what to do."

      "Carmen," he pulled away. He looked me in the eyes with a stern look on his face. This was not an 'I'm-in-love-with-you' Jaxon. This was an 'I'm-a-friend' Jaxon. "Do you love him?"

      I couldn't respond. I was so choked up in my tears, that I ended up speaking nonsense. 

      "Look at me," he slightly nudged me. "Do you love the Emperor? Tell me the truth."

      So I did.

      I slowly nodded. I looked away from Jaxon, wishing I never said anything. I didn't know how to feel. My heart hurt and my mind was racing with ideas and thoughts. I was afraid for myself. The Emperor had treated me so well... The times I've felt alive, were in this place. I didn't care about spending my life back at home anymore. This was my home. This was my future. Me being the Empress of ancient China was the best thing that could've possibly have happened to me. I knew I had to go back because Jaxon couldn't without me. I needed to tell my family and tell Cherry.

      But this was a drastic change for me. This was a change that could either make or break me. Before this, I wanted so badly to go home, but now, I want to stay. I love the Emperor. I know I did because I was in front of Jaxon, having second thoughts about leaving.