16

"Greetings to Imperial Noble Consort Lu," two guards greeted. Their voices had a spice of excitement in it, and I already knew why.  

        "Please do get up," she spoke. They were not in my view; I couldn't see them at all, but I knew Chang Ying had a smile on her face. "I'm here to see Noble Consort Han."

        There was silence. 'Noble Consort Han' echoed and I could feel my embarrassment rise. The prison seemed empty, but I wouldn't doubt that there were a few prisoners giggling at me right now. Soft murmurs and whispers were heard until Chang Ying interrupted the guards' private discussion.

        "Thank you," she said.

          I began to prepare myself before she saw me. I have to look as innocent as possible. Although I am—a hundred percent innocent—I still needed to look like it more than I do now. I leaned my head against the wall, stretching my legs out. I closed my eyes.

        It didn't take long until I could feel the presence of someone watching me. I could hear a faint noise of someone's nails hitting the cell bars. I calmly opened my eyes. Chang Ying stood stiffly outside my cell with her eyes staring me down. I couldn't read her facial expression. Her eyebrows were knitted, and her lips were slightly pursed. At first, she looked heated, but her eyes had a glisten of concern. 

        I bowed and opened my mouth to speak but Chang Ying was quick to talk.

       "I know you didn't do it." She opened the cell door with a key and slid me a large plate. The heavenly smell of the Imperial kitchen surrounded me as Chang Ying raised the lid.

        I held onto the chopsticks she handed me and watched her sit down in front of me. "What makes you say that, Your Grace?"

        Unlike Hua Er and Jaxon, Chang Ying didn't look worn out. Her hair was perfectly groomed which was styled with her headpiece. Her hair wasn't entirely up like the Empress. I waited for an answer while picking up food and stuffing my face with it. I clipped a chunk of meat with my chopsticks and thrust it towards Chang Ying. She leaned back and shook her head. "The Empress was with His Majesty last," she whispered, she looked up in thought. "There's insufficient evidence to prove that you provided the wine. A simple statement will not justify anything—"

        "But Your Grace, the Emperor is naive! His Majesty will believe it!" I replied. There were pieces of my food spewing out of my mouth. I placed my finished bowl down and eyed the leftovers. Chang Ying calmly motioned her hand as a 'have more, please' signal.     

         She looked way too calm. Her eyes were fixated on my bowl while she was casually speaking. "There is no way you will be executed. I will make sure of it."

         Did Chang Ying have that much power to convince the Emperor that I was innocent? Chang Ying had charm and persuasion. When I saw Chang Ying handle the other women, she was very calm and persuasive to solve the conflicts. She was naturally good at keeping everyone calm and collected. She, herself, was calm and collected. There was peaceful, zen energy in Chang Ying. Like a delicate, rare flower, it lives in a way that you don't want to pluck it from the ground. 

        The bowl and the plate were already in a box when I looked down. Chang Ying poured water into the cup that was rolling on the floor.

        "I don't have much time. I'll get going." 

          She opened the cell door again. Her hands found their way to smooth down her hanfu and fix her hairpiece. Before she walked out of the cell, she looked behind her shoulder to face me. "I want you to get some rest. I apologize that I couldn't bring much food, but your trial is tomorrow and I don't want you to faint. They postponed the mercenary's trial to arrange for yours. Keep in mind, when you are at Court, do not initiate a discussion about the Empress in any way... Her Majesty is a very sensitive topic. I know... Both of us have bad experiences with the Empress but it is for your own good. Focus on what you were doing at that time and everything else. Again, avoid speaking about Her Majesty."