82

Safe and sound. After that event, I was less paranoid than I was before. I asked for a follow-up on the assassins that I encountered when we went to the capital. One of my eunuchs had informed me that it was resolved, but not all members were found.

       Less is better than more when it comes to assassins.

       "I'm hungry!" Hua Er whined from the bedroom. 

       I could hear her from the main hall in my estate. I stopped playing the guqin and walked down the steps and into the bedroom. 

       She knelt on the bed, eyeing the candles that were supposed to tell time. She stared at it for entertainment. Dinner time was almost here. But knowing Hua Er, she was impatient.

       I chuckled, sitting at the edge of the bed. I stared at the candles with her. "Dinner is almost here, we should wait at the table."

       "Empress, I am dying! I need food in my stomach, right this instance!" she leaned back. Her back pressed against the bed. She looked like a dead starfish.

        "You're even more dramatic than me," I rolled my eyes as I reached for the chair and sat down. 

        My maids went off to get food. Today, I was in a good mood. It's been so long since I could relax, and I believe I could. After the colonel informed me of the rebellion plans, I was very cautious about where I was going.

       I was expected to be attacked two or three days from now. The Emperor was notified as well, but he still doubted the colonel. I couldn't blame the Emperor if he was slightly mad at me. Colonel Shi wanted to kill the Emperor, and I had let him off. What I gained was information—information that could save my life.

        Who needed Jaxon, anyways?

        Hua Er was already excited over the food brought to us. Her eyes followed the maids' hands as they set the dishes down.

        I placed Dragon on the ground after petting her. She has been obedient and not the stereotypical cat I imagined her to be. A pet was something that I didn't know I needed. I was lonely sometimes; I wanted to be occupied and take care of something. Although my maids always tried to barge in and help me with Dragon, I did like taking care of her.

        The aroma of dishes placed in front of us was strong. Dragon purred as she rubbed her head against my leg. 

       "No, not for you baby," I cooed, wagging my held chopsticks at her while she tried to move away from it. Although I do let her eat the leftovers, Dragon gets greedy. I'm concerned about my cat's weight.

        Hua Er giggled. "If only everyone could see this weird affectionate side to you."

       "Well, don't tell anyone," I laughed. "It's a secret."

       Tofu. The beautiful dish, drenched in whatever sauce they used, was waiting for me. It must be soy sauce mixed with something else. It had a sweet and salty taste to it. There was a big piece of tofu. Hua Er must have spotted it too because she was eyeing it like it was diamonds. 

         She wanted to have that piece too. I could see she was dying to have this piece of tofu down her esophagus and into her stomach. She desired this tofu piece, and so did I. Hua Er licked her lips. A few minutes ago, she was complaining about her hunger. I should never mess with my lady-in-waiting if she was hungry, but that tofu piece was calling out to me.

       I couldn't let her have it.

       We both made eye contact—caught in the act. 

       "Mine!" we exclaimed in unison, both of us were getting ready to grab the piece.