56

Several months ago, I recalled Prince Jing walking into my chamber. It was in December when we celebrated the Winter Solstice. I thought it was fairly normal for him to come in. I mean, he only did want to get that little brat away from my bed. Even now, I start to realise how informal the Empress and the prince acted.

          She didn't punish him when he came to get Hua Yang; she looked delighted to see him. I couldn't grasp the idea of the Empress having an affair. Who would actually be in love with someone like her? 

         "Your Majesty, do you wish for us to call upon His Highness?" the Emperor's advisor, who hadn't spoken since, leaned over to ask him. 

        The Emperor didn't react, nor did anyone else. I was speechless. The Empress Dowager was already leaning back in her throne in ease. She was the first one to figure it out. The Emperor was still in thought.

         "No..." the Emperor shook his head, looking at the Empress with loathing. It was hard to say how he was feeling. He was in denial. He waited for a while, but the Empress stayed silent. She kept her head down.

        The Empress Dowager turned to the advisor. "Bring in Prince Jing."

       This was, by far, the wildest thing that has ever happened to me. The eunuchs left swiftly and again, the silence consumed the entire room. No one commented. No one even breathed. The Emperor was reserved with his body language. He blankly stared at the nothingness in front of him. 

        The Empress was not carrying the next heir. This was another bad news from a piece of bad news. 

         I don't suspect the Emperor to be ruthless and kill the Empress who was carrying a child. Although he can be ruthless, he wasn't like that. The hurt and pain in his eyes debunked the myth that I always thought: the myth that he was heartless.

         The Emperor, with the unreadable face as mysterious as an ancient language, expressed genuine emotions. 

        He leaned his frame to the right, resting on his elbow. "Empress, is this true? Do you have an affair with Prince Jing?"

        Gently, the Empress raised her head to peer up at him. 

        "The gods are watching," the Emperor spoke louder. "Don't tell a lie again... like you always do."

         But the Empress dipped her head down again in defeat. There was nothing else she could say, nothing else she could do. It was over. 

         I was already pitying the Emperor. I already want to counsel him and tell him that everything will be alright. My biggest fear was that he would discover my trysts with Jaxon. There was guilt forming in me. That's why I can never judge the Empress for her affair with Prince Jing.

        I didn't want to be labelled as a hypocrite.

        Prince Jing was roughly dragged into the hall. He was thrown next to the Empress. His steel-blue mianfu with grey designs was sprawled on the ground, neatly overlapping the Empress's beautiful red attire. 

        "Warm blessings to Mother," Prince Jing kowtowed. "Greetings to Your Majesty... What is going on?"

        The Empress didn't look at him. She kept her head down, but Prince Jing had other things to say. He whispered something in her ear and the Empress shook her head. 

        "Take a guess," the Empress Dowager cocked an eyebrow. "The Empress is beside you, kneeling in pure sin. Haven't you heard? She's pregnant."