23

"The Empress has arrived!"

        "Happiness and peace to the Empress." All of us knelt and bowed.

        The Empress had a smile plastered onto her face. I may be wrong, but she must've felt upset because the child wasn't coming from her. Her eyes were glistening but I chose to shove my pity aside. The Empress grinned. "Rise."

        "Thank you, Your Majesty." 

        We stood up awkwardly. No one made a sound. Every one of us waited for the Empress to speak, but all she did was stare blankly at us.

         Her hanfu exterior was a deep red colour with gold silk as the interior; her hair was styled up neatly with a beautiful gold headpiece. Her entire look was very expensive and exquisite. I hated her but she was stunning. I've never noticed it until now, but she looked so elegant and beautiful. It doesn't cover the fact that she's a crude woman, though. 

         "I'm here to check up on you all," she spoke. Her cheeks probably hurt from smiling so harshly. "Nobody informed me that the enchanting one from the bunch may spend their night with His Majesty."

         Two other girls were beginning to bow but the Empress shook her head. The dangling jewellery from her headpiece danced with the motion. "No need. It would've been better to inform me beforehand, so I can wish you all good luck earlier."

         "Thank you, Your Majesty," I bowed. "The Empress is kind and understanding."

        I was expecting her to frown or scoff at me, but all she did was smile. It wasn't hard to provoke her, all you had to do was be kind to her even if she hated your guts. Empress Zhang, for once, was beaming at me.

        "I shall take my leave now. Practice harder!" she exclaimed before turning around. 

        In the middle of practice, I was becoming drowsy. My eyelids felt like it weighed fifty pounds, I felt like I was weightlifting with my eyes. My mind was battling my needs to remain conscious. If it wasn't for the Empress Dowager punishing me, I wouldn't have been in this situation. As I swung my sleeve up and spun, I tripped over my right leg and toppled onto another concubine.

        "I'm so sorry!" I held my hand out expecting her to grab it, but she slapped my hand away.

        Her unresponsive eyes narrowed at me before she got up on her own. "I didn't know they asked for untalented dancers."

        "Excuse me?" I raised my eyebrows.

        Two concubines behind me were snickering. "Lady Ying Yue, where did you learn to dance? You look so drained out of your life, how could the Emperor choose you?"

        "The Empress Dowager made her kneel in the Tranquil Palace, how embarrassing is that? Who taught you Imperial etiquette?" another insulted.

        "How did you know that?" I hissed back. 

        Relax, Carmen, relax. Everything will be okay.

         It took me all my patience to not deck all four of these weaklings on the head. I never expected these women to be so rude. The one with the blush all over her face was continuously laughing, but I've recognized her before. She was only a Consort, not a Noble Consort.

        "Do you remember that I am a Noble Consort?" I raised my head higher to face her.

         She immediately darted her eyes off of me before kneeling. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"