79

There was another pregnant concubine now. I was happy that there was another woman pregnant because the officials can now leave me alone. There were people who were influenced by what the officials said. They were wondering if I was a fluke.

        Now, they know. 

       After I became Empress, I do believe that our empire—including the harem—did far better. The Emperor was less stressed. He was able to make better judgements, and I was able to provide him with support. In terms of the harem, it is doing far better now. The late empress tried to kill every concubine that was pregnant while I promoted pregnancy in the harem.

       It seems to me that the officials have finished gloating over me, and can leave me alone for once. The morning court assemblies along with my morning assemblies in the harem went smoothly. 

        Today, Hua Er and I decided to take a walk. I had to cherish the weather before it started to become colder. 

        My time to go was almost near. It was near the end of September. I could hear the breeze yell my name, I could smell the scent of... autumn. Although it was still hot, the wind was starting to blow again. 

        Surprisingly, I wasn't in a rush to go home. I could spend another month here just fine. Perhaps it was because I was afraid of going back home and adapting to everything again. I was going to miss being here. Back then, I would do anything to leave. 

         I've gotten so used to being treated like a queen, that I don't even want to go back sometimes. But, I had family and friends waiting for me. I had a life to live back at home. I also wanted a romantic relationship where my husband stayed loyal to me, and only me.

         A Noble Consort walked towards us. Her chin was lifted, and she didn't acknowledge us at all. Her maids bowed, but they widened their eyes when they noticed their mistress was ignoring me. They whispered to the consort, frantically watching me glare at her.

        I waited for her to greet me, but she didn't. I paused my walking. When I turned around, the consort continued to take small steps away. 

        "You must greet and acknowledge the Empress before you walk away!" Hua Er demanded. She turned on her heels immediately and stood closer to me. I could already imagine the steam coming out of her ears.

        The consort turned around. There was a sly smirk on her face. In any minute now, I will wipe that smirk off her face. 

        She continued to walk with her maids behind her. They avoided eye contact with me and the consort. They were embarrassed and I would be as well if I was in their place. The Noble Consort bowed carelessly. "Warm blessings to Your Majesty."

        "I'd like you to wipe that smile on your face before I punish you severely," I said immediately after her dramatic bow. "Show me more respect or I won't forgive you."

        Feng Xi and Pink slowly leaned towards me. "That is Noble Consort Wei, Lady Li Mei. Her family is one of the noblest households."

         I've never had to deal with anyone refusing to bow to me. The cocky woman in front of me was testing my patience. I hope she knows that I'm not afraid to punish her, even if she was a member of the noblest families on the entire planet.

        Her name was Li Mei. Was this karma for using the old Li Mei? It was either the Cold Palace or sacrificing a concubine. I felt guilty even though she deserved it, but I did not deserve to have another Li Mei cause me trouble. 

          Li Mei went on her knees and so did her maids. She kowtowed to me. "I apologize, Your Majesty. I didn't know it was such a big deal to—"