69

When I woke up in the morning, my irritation was growing. I was never a morning person. Ever. Having to do this every single day was the most exhausting thing I could ever do. I wanted to make an excuse and say that my head hurt, but I still feel like I owed the Emperor big time. 

        I groggily got up. My maids were already prepared to dress me and freshen me up before I left. Brushing your teeth was different because you brushed with a type of twig that had a resemblance of bristles. I always kept my mouth fresh by chewing on peppermint leaves while my maids did my hair. 

        But I didn't have the patience to deal with anyone right now. My maids were crowding around me, trying to get me to put on a white attire, but I was too overwhelmed. Minister Feng and I's discussion continued to echo in my head. Besides, I was going into menstruation soon, so I knew I wasn't going to be the nicest person right now.

        It's been three days since my last talk with Minister Feng. Yet, it still annoyed me heavily. I was free to do anything. I was living near the harem, but not entirely there. I was freer than I was before I became Empress. I had everything I wanted. I had more food, more tea, a better quality of living... But I still wasn't satisfied.

        Minister Feng's words were like a tape recorder stuck on repeat. I needed to resolve the current issues I was facing.

        "Don't bother," I waved my hands away from my maids. "I'll dress myself up today."

         They obliged, obviously, and stepped back for me to dress. Before, Hua Er had to teach me how to, because I have never worn a hanfu before I came here. It wasn't that bad. My maids watched me struggle a little bit. 

        The morning assembly went well and I headed back to my estate. 

        After a few hours of talking to Jaxon, I brought my maids back. Lunch was going to arrive soon. 

        I watched the clouds outside, slowly shifting and moving. The weather was warm but a little breezy out. I sat outside enjoying the cool wind against my skin. I guess this wasn't that bad. I had a short moment of bliss before I regained consciousness. 

        "Your Majesty, your food has arrived," Snoopy spoke softly behind me.

        As I exhaled, I turned around and nodded. I walked back into my palace and was welcomed by the smell of fresh duck. Snoopy followed behind me, waiting for her orders. 

        While I sat myself down, I finally focused my attention on her. "Is it done?"

        "Yes, Empress," Snoopy responded, bowing deeply. "I will go out in a few more minutes to check."

        "Good." I picked up my chopsticks and invited Hua Er to dig in with me. My maids left us to eat, and I was thankful that they left. The new maids were not to be trusted around here. 

        The room became silent and we focused on satisfying our appetite. I enjoyed the cabbage the most. Almost every meal I ate was more vegetables than meat, which was everyone else's meals I believe. Hua Er was also eating. She looked out of it. She looked worried, almost, and I already knew why.

         My plan was risky. Sending a maid out to do something like this may jeopardize my reputation. But, who can punish me? The Emperor won't because he'll be busy knowing the truth of his first son.

         Hua Er eventually stopped eating. She placed her chopstick down on her bowl and looked up at me. "Ying Yue, do you think this is going to work?"

         "Ja—I mean Lan Yun is hiding in the other room," I whispered. Although Hua Er knew that Jaxon and I weren't from here, it's noted that she only knows the name he goes by here. "I'll send you off to signal him when time is ready."