50

"The Empress is pregnant?" I asked again for confirmation.

        "Yes," Pink nodded. "She'll announce it tomorrow morning."

        I stared off into the distance solemnly. "Well, that's good news. She'll get off my back."

        "Madame Ying Yue," Feng Xi called. "Her Majesty wants to see you."

        Hua Er and I immediately looked at each other. I slowly, hesitantly got up from my seat and walked down towards Blue and Pink. They both stood up and bowed as I headed to the exit. Before I left, Hua Er called out to me.

         "Ying Yue," she pleaded. "Please... For your safety... It is no coincidence that I've talked to you about this today. The gods are watching and they believe in you!"

        The desperation in her eyes and her tightly pursed lips convinced me. I nodded my head silently and proceeded to follow Feng Xi. Fen Ai leaned her lips close to Guan Shu's ear, cupping the side of her face that was exposed to the other maids. Guan Shu nodded as Fen Ai hurriedly stood behind me, replacing Guan Shu's position.

       Walking to the Empress's palace was not fun. I haven't had a conversation with the Empress, face to face, for a while now and it was starting to make me feel nervous. If I had the chance to yank a piece of hair from her and run to the Emperor and force him to spit in a bottle, I think I would. This would be a chance to steal a piece of her hair and leave. 

        I shook my childish thoughts away when we reached her estate. The Empress sat on her throne patiently waiting, she leaned her weight to the right, resting her elbow on the arm of the throne. I paused in front of her and kneeled. 

        "Happiness and peace to the Empress." I bowed in a monotone voice.

        "Get up," the Empress said, she brushed off the maids around her. She looked at my maids. "All of you are dismissed."

        While I stood up, I searched for a chair nearby. I made myself comfortable, but I still felt the strong tension between us. We eyed each other like we were going to pounce at each other in less than a minute. They might as well have a boxing ring in her palace.

        That would be a good idea.

        The Empress presumptuously looked at me. "Congratulations on your title."

        "Thank you for blessing me with the title, Your Majesty," I smiled at her, bowing with my head to show her that I wasn't threatening her. "Congratulations on your pregnancy."

         "News spread fast, don't they?" the Empress smiled back. "I want to talk to you about why you have this title... You're pregnant as well, aren't you? You laid with the Emperor and you are hiding it from—"

         "Don't be ridiculous, Your Majesty," I laughed, sweetly with menace in my tone. "If I was carrying, I think you would be the first person to know!"

         I couldn't process the conversation I was having with her. It felt like a high-school comedy where the two best friends are secretly fake to each other. Besides, it was only us in the room, the Empress might as well cuss me out here. Nobody would know. I knew she was dying to. 

       The Empress chuckled as she shook her head. "You're right, I am delusional for thinking that you laid with His Majesty. Besides, I will be giving birth to a remarkable heir."

        "I cannot wait, Empress," I replied, as my eyes followed the Empress walking down to the table beside me. 

        She picked up a cup and gently pressed the rim against my lips. "Drink it."