22

A/N: Some of the 'hall' names are fiction.

~~~

        After three days of the Empress's punishment, everything in the harem went back to normal. It was riotous when she wasn't present. The women didn't think twice to punish lower-ranked concubines and abused them even more for a mistake they've done. Every day, there was petty drama and the Emper Chaos was everywhere without the Empress in power. Dong Mei had to rest and the only one in authority within the three days was Chang Ying. Chang Ying was able to work under extreme pressure, nonetheless. Everyone knew the harem was a battlefield, but it was a very dangerous one when the head supervisor wasn't around to watch it all burn down. When the Empress returned, she was in a moodier state.

        "Imperial Noble Consort Yang's celebration?" she said as we all huddled together for our instructions for the dance. It was early morning when we greeted the Empress. Every day, we would wake up at around seven in the morning. It hit a nerve to wake up so early to greet someone of no importance to me, but that was the rule and a good consort must abide by the rules. 

        "Yes, Your Majesty." Niu Lin replied. She was still fond of the Empress and the Empress was fond of her—I surmise, but knowing the Empress, she was unpredictable and cold. I wouldn't be too surprised if she was using Niu Lin for her own gain. I still didn't know why Niu Lin was doing what she was doing, but I guess I'll never know.

        The Empress shifted aside for a palace woman. She had her hair braided down and two bronze hairpins at the back of her head. "Warm blessings to Your Majesty, I'm here."

        Shockingly, the Empress nodded and returned the palace woman's kind gestures. She smiled with grace, then turning her head again to face us. "Well then, I hope you all have a great time practicing. Don't mess things up for Imperial Noble Consort Yang."

        A concubine snickered. "Has anyone told her that the best dancer gets to—"

        Everyone shushed her. 

        "Lady Ying Yue," Guan Shu, my trusted maid bowed as I entered her room in the servant's palace. "It's lovely to see you!"

        "Guan Shu! Please don't be so formal with me!" I scolded as I held her up. I scanned around her room; it wasn't as small as I thought it would be and it looked cleaned up. A simple, little room for her and her son. "Where's Rong Er?"

        Guan Shu grinned at me. "Oh yes! Rong Er, come and greet Lady Ying Yue!"

        A small timid child peeked behind a separate wall before slowly walking towards me. "Warm blessings to the Empress!"

        "No! I'm not the Empress! I'm—" I gasped. It was a compliment, I couldn't stop myself from grinning.

        "Rong Er, she is a Noble Consort! We went through this before! Quick, apologize!" Guan Shu exclaimed as she bent over to give him a slight push forward. Her eyes curled up.

        I chuckled and squatted down. "Hello, Rong Er. How old are you?"

        This was a real-life toddler I was seeing in the palace. I've never seen one before, and this would be my first one. I held his hand while his big eyes looked back at me in awe. He was so innocent and pure, I wanted to squeeze him. How could a tiny little thing dwell in this godforsaken place? I had to protect Guan Shu and her son. Being in association with me was like suicide. Everyone wanted to hurt me, and if the Empress couldn't touch me, I was afraid she'd hurt someone I was close with. Hua Er was in danger, as well as Guan Shu, and even her son. Looking into the child's eyes, I knew I had to protect him from harm. I couldn't live with myself I didn't.