37

When Li Mei was escorted back to her chamber, the Emperor was in mine. His eyes traced down to my exposed neckline but quickly settled back on my face. It was embarrassing being flirtatious with the Emperor when you knew your maids and lady-in-waiting were listening to every single word. 

        The Emperor was going on a trip to the Hangzhou region to see how things were operating. His chancellors and advisors would come with him and take notes on things they can improve on. I liked that about the Emperor. He cared. But when he told me he was going to leave for two weeks, I couldn't take it. It wasn't a big deal that I wouldn't see him for two weeks, but it was a big deal because the Empress would have my head chopped off before the Emperor returns. It's inevitable. I already knew it was coming. There's no way the Empress will let me off the hook. The Empress could eliminate Dong Mei's baby or Dong Mei herself! 

        I braced myself for it. It was time to lay low for a while. I've been starting to adapt to this foreign place and it's starting to feel like home to me. 

         Home. It felt strange to call it home and call my chamber a place I feel comfortable and safe. During the first month of sleeping in an unfamiliar placement, I went to bed feeling like I was sleeping in jeans. And nowadays, I still miss home. I still miss my parents, my annoying little sister, and my close friend. Cherry was definitely still balling her eyes out and listening to the playlist I created for her when she first officially broke up with her boyfriend. But instead of thinking of her ex-boyfriend, she'd think of me.

        My heart sunk deeper into the pitch-black void; when I think negative thoughts, it constantly reoccurs in my mind. I couldn't stop thinking about what I had before I fell into a world that didn't have the internet or even a telephone. Imagine being in a BC era with people who don't act like you or talk like you.

         It was gratitude that kept me going. Although I lost all contact with everyone I have ever loved, I remained grateful that I was being well-fed and well-treated where I am. Most of the time, at least. I was grateful that I had Jaxon by my side, who I could relate to and stare at when I was bored. I was grateful for Hua Er to substitute Cara as a temporary sister and best friend for me. I was grateful for Lei Shu to randomly pop up at my doorway and see how I was doing, even taking her time off as a maid because she was heavily working. Lastly, I was grateful for Guan Shu, Chang Ying, and Uncle Bin. They didn't know my situation at all. They didn't know me at all. Yet they took my side and continued sticking up for me and being with me.

        My hot, sorrowful tears never came out for a long time because I was grateful. I started to appreciate everything that happened. I had a free ticket to ancient China! I was lucky. There were joyful things that I didn't appreciate before. I am so lucky for Guan Shu's son to compliment me and treat me like I was the Empress. 

        I felt ecstatic. I made myself feel good. It was good to feel good! It was good to let go of the things I was stressing about that I couldn't immediately fix. Overthinking and self-doubt kept me up all night but I slept like a baby during the past few weeks. 

        The Emperor had kissed me goodbye before he left. It was weird to have his lips press on mine, I still haven't adapted to it. But the smile on my face when he headed off said otherwise.

        The oldest prince was temporarily in charge. He didn't do much of the Emperor duties, I assumed. Women in the harem weren't supposed to know a lot about politics and state affairs going on, but I heard the Emperor and Dong Mei talk a little bit about it before he left. 

        "Ah! You're getting sick!" Guan Shu moaned, swatting a warm, wet towel around after I let out five consecutive sneezes.

        Guan Shu gently patted my bare face down. It wasn't like every day where I would wear makeup. I don't think I would need to since the Emperor wasn't here. My purpose in the harem was to be the Emperor's eye candy, wasn't it?