57

The harem has been fairly peaceful. Chang Ying and I managed the harem together we make a great team. We always did. She sat across from me with a smug look on her face as she held the teacup in her hand.

        "The 'Empress' seat is still vacant," Chang Ying remarked. "The Empress and her mother are in the Cold Palace. His Majesty still doesn't know what to do with them. I say both of them get executed, regardless if Her Majesty is carrying his child."

        I wasn't very ambitious in terms of being the step-empress. I couldn't care less. If anything, I'd like to see Chang Ying as the next empress. She'd make a good one as well. The Emperor loved her, and she loved the Emperor. They loved each other. She wasn't the favoured consort for no reason.

        Besides, Chang Ying was my friend and I could never compete with her.

        "His Majesty will definitely choose you," I reassured her.

        Chang Ying laughed. "I told you I never want to be the next empress... Perhaps it'd be nice but we might not even have a step-empress."

        I didn't know how to respond. I was still starstruck over myself. I paid every servant that helped me with the operation well, but I couldn't face the fact that the Empress will no longer have her title.

        Wow.  I am such a queen. 

        This was still surreal to me. Now the entire harem acknowledged me, they looked at me with more respect now that they know the Empress is gone. They knew it was because of me. I don't know why they are paying respect to me now, knowing that they probably won't get the title.

        "I also need you to deal with something," Chang Ying got up from her chair as if she was about to go. "I have duties, but apparently Noble Consort Qi has been speaking ill of the Emperor—she claims that the Emperor has been drooling recently."

       Niu Lin and her big mouth. This time, I was thankful she had a big mouth.

        I chuckled. "Is that true?"

        "I have no idea," Chang Ying shrugged. "When I was with him, he'd never drool. I guess the entire situation has him stressed and he's been taking medicine for a good rest. If you'd confront her for me, I'd appreciate it!"

        "Of course." I smiled before Chang Ying left.

        The Emperor's saliva is one of the ingredients to get me back home. I couldn't help but have the biggest smile on my face. My cheeks were starting to hurt. I had to tell Jaxon. Hua Er stood behind me, waiting for me to stand up but I didn't. 

         Hua Er didn't question me. I poured myself another cup of tea and took a sip, letting the warm liquid flow down my throat. The warmth was what I needed. My thoughts were still focused on the ingredients I was supposed to gather. Time was on my side, it always was. I started to realise that. I embraced this journey.

        When I poured myself a second cup of tea, I sat in silence. Hua Er chose to sit down next to me. She eyed my hand that was holding the handle of the teapot. "When are you going to confront Lady Niu Lin?"

       "Not anytime soon, Chang Ying can wait," I replied, then looking at Hua Er as I pressed the cup to my lips. Hua Er smirked at my informal speaking of Chang Ying. "I need to speak to Lan Yun first."

       It didn't take long for Jaxon to appear in my bedroom. He towered over me as I giggle under his stare. I don't know what he did to have the Emperor dote on him because Jaxon was no longer a guard. He was now an advisor. The two men that I kissed were probably having casual political conversations with each other.