28

I woke up in the Emperor's arms. I found myself on my side as he embraced me. It was the position I was afraid I'd be in when I woke up. It was the position that was reserved for intimacy. The blanket that wrapped around me was almost stolen from the Emperor. It only covered three-quarters of my body, but at least the room wasn't chilly. I didn't expect the Emperor to be a blanket hogger. I felt unbalanced with my left arm was cooler than my right arm, while my entire body was shivering, and the Emperor was still sleeping so I couldn't fix it. With caution, I clenched onto the blanket and attempted to pull it towards me but the Emperor's grip was too forceful. His grip was tight for someone who was sleeping. 

          The Emperor looked peaceful when he slept. He had an angel face, rather than a devilishly handsome one when his eyes were closed and in deep sleep. I wonder what he was dreaming about. I wonder if the Emperor dreamt. I wonder what he dreams about, what reoccurring themes, or who is in his dreams. When I was observing his face, he didn't seem to be dreaming. Perhaps he did not dream tonight. 

        I continuously tugged onto it before noticing a slight twitch in the Emperor's eye.

         "Good... morning, Your Majesty," I said with a soft tone. I nervously tried to withdraw my hands away from the blanket but the Emperor grabbed my arm. "Please forgive me for trying to steal your blanket..."

        "Please forgive me for stealing the blanket," he said with a smirk. His arms devoured my tiny body, suffocating me into his affection. "Did you have a good sleep last night?" 

        Right after his question, I instantly thought of our semi-intimate scenario last night and cringed. Whoever that woman was, was not me. 

        The Emperor's voice was raspy but in an attractive way. Morning voices were always hot. I eyed the Emperor's cheeky smile but refused to speak about last night. "Besides Your Majesty stealing the blanket... I think I slept well. Your body was very warm close to mine."

        I heard a calm chuckle from the Emperor. I took it in. His laughter, even if it was small, was still so melodic to me. It was rare. He always had a dull look on his face when he was seen by the public. It was his job, as the Emperor, to put a mask on that resembled strict authority. A gentle, kind look doesn't always help you sometimes. I wonder who he truly was. Maybe he had different personas for each concubine he slept with. Each mask is for each of us. That'd be a scary thought because it meant the Empress knew his true character. Another flashback of last night played in my head. He was a good kisser, but probably because of practice with other women in the harem. I indirectly kissed those women. I started to feel disgusted. I didn't feel envy, but I felt like having that knowledge repulsed me. Never would I ever share a husband with anyone else. Besides, I was leaving soon, the Emperor would never be my husband.

      Shortly after our small talk, several maids walked in carrying a tray of tea and a meal. They all bowed in front of us. "Greetings to the Emperor, greetings to Noble Consort Han."

       "You may rise." The Emperor sat on the edge of the bed and stretched. 

       I watched them carefully. They all got up at the same time and thanked him at the same time. How do these women synchronize all of that? There must be tons of practice involved... lots of training. They all had the same mannerism. It was so... eerie? 

        "Lady Ying Yue, Eunuch Lian Ying is outside to escort you back to your chamber," a young maid, who had a small pin to hold her bun in place, said to me before carefully helping me up in bed. "His Majesty has morning assembly."

        I swatted her hand away. "No need, I'm alright."

        The maid immediately looked taken aback. However, she looked amused. When she looked up at me, I leaned in forward to get a closer look. She was stunning. Her skin was glowing; there were no blemishes visible on her skin. The maid had full eyebrows that didn't look too thick, nor look too full. It was different.