74

"I heard you executed those maids yesterday." the Emperor broke our silence. 

         It was night time and I stayed in his bedroom. 

         If you concentrated on the outside noises, crickets were chirping outside. It was sort of a relaxing feel. I laid comfortably under the blankets of the Emperor's bed. Nothing romantic about it. I was just lonely. 

        He sat on the opposite side, leaning close to me. Today, he looked less tired than he usually is. I think it was because of the polo game tomorrow. I've never been to one nor watched one. I don't care enough about it. I hated seeing horses being used for entertainment.

         Slowly, I let out a small exhale. "Yes, I did... They deserved it."

         "I agree." the Emperor responded right away. He bored his eyes into mine; almost black, dull eyes that rarely shone in the light. His eyes fixated on me and I almost shivered under his stare.

          I chose not to speak about the maids' involvement with Minister Feng. It wasn't theatrical enough if I told the Emperor himself. Besides, I don't think he'll believe me with the lack of evidence I had. The Emperor had to see it to believe it. 

         This is why I couldn't wait for tomorrow.

         Before I even spoke, the Emperor got up from the bed. I felt the bed slowly rise from my bottom. As the eunuch walked inside, bowing before us, the Emperor turned to look at me. He had a genuine smile on his face. 

         Slowly, I looked at what the eunuch was holding. There was a cat held snugly in his arms. I didn't know what breed the cat was but it was a typical one. Light grey stripes with yellow feline eyes. The cat's little belly was white. 

        The feline animal watched me like a hawk, almost like it wanted to tell me something.

        The Emperor took the cat from the eunuch's arms and held it in his. He looked adorable holding it. Like a father. I'd rather see him hold animals than babies. 

          "Empress, I feel that you are quite lonely in your palace," the Emperor quietly said. The eunuch quickly dismissed himself. "I decided that I'd gift you a little friend."

          I let out a soft laugh when he passed me the cat. Surprisingly, the cat didn't scratch me or bite me, which is what usually cats do. I wasn't really a cat person. Dogs were better in my opinion, but this cat was obedient. It could sit still. I let it settle itself on my lap as I looked up at the Emperor.

          "Thank you, Your Majesty. You are considerate enough to do this," I said almost in a whisper. A big smile was spread on my face. "I love him."

          The Emperor nodded. "Her... What are you going to name her?"

          "Oh, Your Majesty," I smoothed the cat's head. I watched her head go back and her eyes close. The cat was adorable... also silent. I wanted it to meow or make a noise but it stayed calm. I think it was probably trained before this. "I'm bad with names. Why don't you come up with a name?"

          I was thinking this cat might have a spy-cam in it but I realised where I was right now. The Emperor gifted this to me. I don't even want to ask him how he got it... It was true that I was lonely in my palace sometimes. I don't know how the Emperor knew but I was assuming one of my maids blurted it out. 

         You know the harem, there's plenty of gossiping going around.

         "No, she's yours," the Emperor sat down next to me. "I believe if you name her yourself, she'll be more obedient to you."