89

All my memories of this place will never leave my mind. I had already arrived at the bathhouse and said my goodbyes to Dragon. Jaxon was waiting for me at the front door. He looked as if he pitied me. 

        I ignored it.

       His eyes left mine, and I noticed he was looking behind my shoulder. He took a step back and bowed. Quickly, I turned my body around and my eyes met with the Emperor. I bowed my head deeply, but the Emperor cut me off before I could greet him again.

       It wasn't that long ago that we were just holding each other... 

      "Ying Yue, I want to bid you farewell... One last time..." the Emperor whispered to me.

      Jaxon tapped my shoulder. "I'll wait inside."

      I looked at him and gave him a lingering stare before nodding slowly. This was awkward for me. I still haven't told Jaxon that the Emperor confessed his love to me, but I believed the confession should be between the Emperor and me anyway.

      When the door closed, the Emperor took my hand in his. He looked tired. His eyes were slightly reddened, and his skin was dull. I didn't want to ask him anything because I didn't want to point it out. 

      "I hope you find your way back safely... I hope you are well," he blinked a few times. "If you are too busy to visit, I won't be mad with you. I just hope you will never forget about me because I'll never forget about you."

      I shook my head, smiling as I looked up at him. "Your Majesty, it's impossible to forget about you."

       "You know," I remained looking at him. I remembered Uncle Bin's speech about war and battles. Still, he was always intrigued with history. "I think the head chef in the kitchen would be a great advisor for battles one day."

       The Emperor raised his eyebrows. "Uncle Bin? You talk to him?"

       I nodded. "Yes, Your Majesty."

       "That'll be a good suggestion. I always take your suggestions."

       "Thank you. I'm going to miss you."

      He looked at me blankly and leaned next to my ear. I felt his soft lips press against my cheek and I closed my eyes to ground myself. 

       "Goodbye, Ying Yue," he whispered.

       Goosebumps were beginning to form on my arms. I almost shivered at the silk-like voice against my ears.

      "Goodbye, Your Majesty," I replied. I cleared my throat soon after. "Also, watch out for the Mongolians... They... they invade years later."

      Why did I say that?

      The Emperor knitted his eyebrows at me and gave me a weird look. "I will..."

      We gave each other one last look before he turned around and walked away. I watched him walk, and when he was at a distance, I turned around and opened the doors. He didn't look back. I was glad he didn't. My heart hurt and not because I loved him, but because I'd leave a place that I had too many memories in.

       I was the Empress, for goodness sake, of course, it hurt to leave this place.

      When I stepped into the bathhouse, the ingredients were already infused with the steamy water. The pair of clothes I wore before was folded neatly on the ground. I still kept my designer shoes. I always had my Gucci shoes on.

      They were worn out but I liked it like that. This pair of shoes have been with me ever since I woke up here. I grew out of it, it wasn't my type of thing anymore. But, I will forever keep it with me because these shoes carried a lot of significance.