Chapter 9

Silence filled the air as the three of you occupied the living room. Yoongi leaned against the wall behind the couch that you were sitting on. Namjoon sat on the sofa on the right side of the couch. He was eating his ice cream, occasionally spilling some.

"Thanks for the ice cream." he said, giving you a smile.

"You're welcomed. I'm glad you liked it."

"I did, it's my favorite flavor actually." Yoongi grunted behind you. You understood that he was being impatient to hear Namjoon's story. "Sorry." Namjoon said to Yoongi, he returned the apology with a nod. Namjoon cleared his throat and began talking.

"As you probably guessed, Yoongi and I went to high school together. There were a few other kids too, Jin, Jimin, Hoseok, and even Taehyung. We were all really close, like brothers, almost. And that's because....because." He stopped, you waited for him to collect his thoughts to go on. "Because we were in a gang, together." You gasped, but tried to stay quiet. "More specifically, my family's gang, the Red Clover. The Kims were notorious in those parts of Daegu. But all the members and their parents joined on their free own will. Even yours. We controlled the exports, educations, and non-profit organizations. We've never dealt with drugs or weapons, please believe me." You nodded. "Things were stable for a while, but that was until a rival gang, the Cadaver, invaded our territory. They began causing havoc at our businesses and did awful things while claiming to be us, which ruined our reputation completely. We tried baiting them, to admit to their plans so that we can send it to the police. But they caught on, and... something happened. We managed to send them to jail, which was a relief."

"A relief?" Yoongi spoke up, pushing himself off of the wall. "You call what happened to my sister a relief? You're fucken disgraceful."

"Yoongi!" you hissed.

"No Y/N, he left something very important out. It's a good thing I'm here, or else he would have been feeding you lie."

"I'm sure he has told us everything that was important. Right Namjoon?"

"Y/N, I'm sorry. Yoongi's right. There's one more thing, I just don't know how to tell you."

"What is it?"

"Yeah, tell her what you did to her." You glared at Yoongi, but his stone face remained.

"It's about us."

"Okay." you said. You've been waiting to hear this, nothing could be more shocking than to find out that Yoongi was in a gang, and actually did stuff.

"You were my wife." You gasped, this time unable to contain your curiosity. From what you could remember, you've never even had a boyfriend. You couldn't imagine being married at such a young age. Namjoon continued, "At least, you were going to be my wife. Your parents were hesitant about letting you join the gang, but since the Mins were also notorious in Daegu, it only made sense that you would join. And because of that, our parents agreed that it would be best to marry us, to strengthen our positions. Remember when I told you that we tried baiting the rival gang? Well, you volunteered to be the wire. I objected immediately, as did your family. But you insisted that you would be the best choice considering they didn't know who you were and you could easily pass as a normal teenage girl. But they discovered your identity right away. It was my fault, I was careless. I didn't notice that you still were wearing my ring, one with the Clover's symbol on it. And they began to..." he paused, his eyes were teary as they looked at you. You could feel the raw sadness on his face.

"They were beating you. You were losing so much blood to the point that you were dying. When I got there, it was too late. The doctors said that your brain and memories were permanently damaged. You didn't recognize me, you barely remembered your family. Yoongi was furious with me, as he should. He told me to stay away from you, if I didn't, he threatened to take you far away, which he did anyways. The Clover disbanded soon after, and we all went our separate ways. But the members all promised Yoongi to never again speak of anything to you."

"I see. So then my nightmares..." Namjoon nodded as if to answer you. Everything was just too much for you to handle. The fact that you were in a gang, and then you and Namjoon were engaged, and that you lost your memories. You never doubt that Yoongi made a threat like that, he would do anything to protect his family. You looked at him a smile, he seemed surprised.

"But there's another problem. It seems that the old leader escaped jail somehow and is out to get revenge, on you." Namjoon said. Yoongi tensed up, gripping the couch.

"Fuck, I should have pulled the trigger when I caught him."

"Hyung, it's not your fault. I should have done something too."

"Damn right you should have."

"Yoongi, stop it." Then you turned back to Namjoon. "Is that why you're here, in the city, all of a sudden? And that you got the stunt double job?"

"Actually, no. I didn't even know about it until I got here. When I saw you in the parking lot that day, I think I saw him approaching you. So I got there first. Same with the farmer's market."

"Then why did you come here in the first place-"

"Doesn't matter." Yoongi interrupted. "Because he's leaving anyway, and going back to wherever he came from."

"Hyung, I can help you catch the guy-"

"You've done enough. You have caused my family enough trouble. Y/N is fine now, she's finally happy. And I'll be here to protect her. You should go now and never come back."

"Yoongi, please." You still had so much to ask him, and who knows when you can see him again. Not to mention, you have formed a weird attachment to Namjoon. He felt comforting, like you always want to be with him.

"No, Y/N, he's right." Namjoon sighed. "I caused you a lot of pain. And I can see now that you no longer need me to protect you. So I will go, and I promise I won't see you again."

"Wait no-"

"I'll drive you to the train station, and I'll make sure you get on this time." Yoongi said sternly. Namjoon nodded. The two of them walked towards the door, you still sat on the couch, tears forming. Yoongi went out the door first and as Namjoon was about to walk out, you jumped up from the couch.

"Namjoon wait!" you yelled out.

"Yes, Y/N?"

"Did you... did you like me?" you asked, your voice came out squeaky and you flushed out of embarrassment. You've never had to ask someone that before, and it seemed silly to ask someone that was supposed to marry you. Your eyes were hopeful as you waited for him to answer. Of course he cares, that's why he's here. Maybe you would finally get to feel what love was, aside from your family. He smiled, but it was full of sorrow.

"No."

Then he closed the door.