Chapter 29

You watched as Namjoon began to take out the ingredients out on the counter. He occasionally asked you where things were and you pointed him to them. You were still outside the kitchen, shocked at what he was doing. He only smiles at you occasionally, the rest of the time, he spent looking at his phone, probably for the recipe.

"You remember?" you asked.

"I would never forget the day my life started." he simply said without looking up. "Shift the flours, and add two eggs." he recited, looking around. "Shoot, I forgot to buy eggs." Then he looks up at you apologetically. You snapped out of your trance, moving to the fridge and taking out the egg carton. Since Jungkook is a muscle pig, he likes his proteins, and he stocks the fridge with eggs often.

"Here," you said as you handed him two eggs.

"Thanks." he said, wiping his hair away, some flours were left on his forehead. You extended your hand out to wipe it away. He stared at you in shock, and remained frozen for you to wipe the flour. "Thank you, Y/N." he said again.

"Yeah. Um, d-do you need my help?"

"I think I'm alright. You just wait outside."

"Are you sure? Do you remember the frying pan?" you asked.

He laughed, "I do. And I'm sorry I blamed it on you. I just really wanted to make a good impression with your parents."

"Why? They had already approved of you."

"Only because I was the leader of the Clover. I wanted to prove myself as your boyfriend and future husband." He began mixing everything together, careful to add the right amount of things.

"I see." you nodded. "Well Yoongi still holds that over my head, he still treats me like a kid."

"Well you are a kid." he giggled, moving the batter into the preheated stove.

"Excuse me? I'm 25 now."

"25 and you have a candle on top of a cheese Danish." he said, looking at the setup you had for yourself in the corner. It did look pitiful.

"That's what adulthood is. Spending your birthday by yourself. Buying yourself a present. Loneliness." you told him

He went over to the table, picking up the wrapped up book. "Let me guess, Great Gatsby?"

"How do you know?"

"It's your favorite. You said you wanted to live like Daisy. And I think I'm destined to be your Gatsby, forever chasing you." He looks back up at you, his eyes a bit teary. "You were so happy when you finished the book at school. You didn't stop talking about it for hours. I was so proud that you learned English on your own. But part of me was sad, knowing that one day you won't need me anymore." He looked down, wiping the tears from his face. "And now, it's my fault that you don't need me. Because I had pushed you away first, god, I don't know why I did that when I know I can't live without you. And it's my fault that you had to go through everything that happened with Lay. I could have saved you from another heartbreak."

You walked over to him, wiping his tears away. "Thank you for saying that. But it wasn't your fault. Our lives were fucked up to begin with. Maybe it was for the better. We became who we meant to be, I wouldn't take back any of the things I've experience, and you shouldn't either." He held your hand with his, and you let him.

"Y/N, I love you."

"I-I love you too, Namjoon." His face lit up, his dimples appeared.

"I think we should talk." You agreed. While the cake was baking, the two of you headed to the living room and took a seat on the couch. You didn't even know where to begin, but luckily, Namjoon sensed your nervousness and started talking first.