Background

Alexander Wilson and Mia Davis met on their first day at St. Ignatius College Prep in Chicago. Due to the both of them scoring high on the school's English entrance exam, they were assigned to Mrs. Anderson's freshman honors English class. On the first day, Mrs. Anderson assigned them to be book partners. Through the semester they got closer and closer to where every person who saw them thought they were dating, except at the time they were only the best of friends. 

This all changed one night after having to go to an off-campus night poetry slam. Joking and laughing around while walking home they stopped by the bean. 

A musician was playing a slow song and people were dancing. Seeing the people, especially the couples dancing, Alexander asked Mia to dance and ended it with a kiss. Consequently, from that day forward they were a couple. Unfortunately, their love had to be a secret.

Since Mia is the daughter of Philip and Amber Davis. The Davis's are a prominent upper class family in Chicago as Philip is the CEO of Davis International, one of Chicago's biggest companies and her mother Amber does high society charity work for the city. The Davis's made it tremendously clear that Mia would one day marry a wealthy man who can help their business connections and a Catholic. Mia's family had more control over her since she is disabled. This is a result of Mia being born prematurely, which led to her having a tongue disorder, lung and heart issues, and she has bone tumors.  Consequently, all this is made Mia to developed depression and anxiety. 

For Alexander, he is the son of Maxim and Sofia Wilson, who are Russian Jewish immigrants who changed their name when they came to the United States. His father Maxim works as a machinist and his mother Sofia works at St. Ignatius College Prep as the secretary, which is how Alexander was allowed in. From a young age, Alexander was extremely bright and he planned to make sure he was worth the sacrifices his parents were making for him to move to America. 

Unquestionably, Alexander was everything Mia's parents did not want in their future son-in-law so they kept their love a secret until Alexander decided to go to her parents, their senior year and tell them his plan on how he is going to make himself worthy of their approval.

Unfortunately, he was met with disapproval and hatred. Mia's parents commanded her to break up with him, however, she did not. For weeks, they battled trying to receive their approval, until it was graduation day.