Rest (Pt.2)

‼️Smallest mention of self harm. Not really, but I do write the words "self harm" once. ‼️

"The last thing he hears before unconsciousness is the gravel-like crunching of his ribs, and then somehow, his heart beating uncontrollably fast."

Dark. 

Fuzzy.

Cold.

Peter felt nothing and everything. His eyes were closed, but was he even alive? Did he still have eyes to close? He felt like he was floating. Maybe he was floating. It was cold. Maybe he was sleeping? He was both awake and asleep. He wanted to drift back.

There was an annoying buzzing keeping him from going back to sleep. He groaned in annoyance and mumbled in his head. 'Wow,' he thought. 'I'm so tired I'm mumbling in my own thoughts. Pathetic.'

The buzzing grew worse. Peter finally tried to open his eyes. He couldn't. He slightly started feeling more. He felt his hand, but it was weird. As if he was a ghost trapped in a body. Moving, but it's not his own. Someone was holding his hand. 

He could feel his hand sweating and wondered when the person holding it would let go, but they never did. He didn't know whether to feel uncomfortable or pleased by this.

Finally, the buzzing fades into something he can understand.

Words. He hears someone speaking. He can't completely understand who's speaking them. Peter does know that he feels even more at ease now. 'This is familiar somehow. I feel safe.' He thinks.

"Hey. I don't know if you can even hear me right now, but please don't leave us, loser." 

Michelle. It's definitely Michelle.

Wait.

'Michelle is holding my hand.' Peter thinks. 'My hand is sweating. Oh my god.'

"You don't even know how important to everyone you are." She starts. "Ned can't even come in here. He's so heartbroken. I'm pretty sure that Tony would have started drinking again, but he won't because you told him not to."

Peter's heart cracks a little. He felt so bad for putting them through this. If he had only gotten that one punch in-

"And don't even go blaming this on yourself, Peter." She says, slightly angrily, making Peter lose his train of thought. "I know if you were awake you'd probably start blaming yourself. Which is completely idiotic. Stop doing that."

Peter wonders how on earth she knows him so well.

"May can't come in the room without sobbing, too. She's taking this... in not the the best way." His heart cracks more. "I'm the only one who can come in here and keep myself from crying." She says.

He doesn't know what to think about that.

"But the truth?" 

Peter suddenly felt like he shouldn't be listening to this. He wasn't meant to hear these things. These are MJ's thoughts, pretty much.

"I miss you." She states simply. "I miss my friend. I miss the person who sat next to me at lunch and talked about the most nerdy things ever, like legos and Star Wars. And god forbid, even Star Wars legos."

"I miss when you would give me half of your sandwich when I forget my lunch. I miss how nice you are. And how caring. Not many people would make someone else take all their bracelets off their wrist just because they had a history of self harm. I still remember that."

Peter had completely forgotten when that had happened. More importantly, he didn't even realize how much he was actually appreciated by MJ.

"Just... Please wake up, okay? I.. I can't do this without you. School. Life. Whatever, I just can't, okay?" Her voice breaks at the end, as does his heart.

Peter mustered all the strength he could and tried squeezing her hand, but it wasn't unsuccessful. He screeched in annoyance (and pain) in his head. 

Much to his surprise, he felt Michelle lay her head on his hand. He felt a tear drop. And he couldn't even do anything to comfort her.

Michelle lifted her head just slightly and kissed his hand before leaving. Peter could feel the cold air hit is previously warm hand as she let go.

And he just thought. He thought about what she said, and how she's had kissed his hand. Why'd she do that? Why did she care so much about what Peter had done for her in the past?

Eventually he fell asleep. When he woke up, his head was pounding. Something also felt very wrong. He couldn't place it exactly, it just felt like something wasn't right.

 Then the pain came.

A sharp pain, hitting his arm. He draws a sharp breath through clenched teeth and everything comes to him at once.

The noises of the hospital begin to come alive, and Peter's eyes fly open. They shut just as fast, for the lights are blinding and coming at him in all directions.

He screeches but no sound comes out. Strong arms hold him down and the pain in his arms go away, and he's asleep again.

He wakes up again, but much more peacefully than before. His eyes open slowly, and he doesn't feel any pain. Most pleasingly to Peter, the lights and sounds don't attack him.

Tony is asleep in the chair in front of him. Faintly, he hears the ending of his favourite song. It starts playing again, proving the song was on repeat.

Peter smiles slightly, but frowns when he realizes they could be listening to his favourite somg because they thought he'd died. He pushes that thought away and turns to the television, playing with the volume off in the corner of the room.

Most of the news is boring, but something catches his eye.

Spider-Man found almost dead in an alleyway by local pedestrian Michelle Jones

The breath catches in his throat. Michelle had to see him in such a torn-up state. He can't even imagine what happened after he blacked out.

He frowns deeply and sees his phone on the bedside table. He reaches for it but brings his hand back. It's probably not a good idea for him to be on a phone right after he wakes up.

He looks back at Tony. 

"Mr. Stark?"

Tony slowly opens his eyes and then opens them widely. "Peter! Oh my god, you're okay!" 

Peter simply smiled softly in response. "I guess."

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? What happened?"

"Yes, I'm fine. And it's doesn't matter what happened, I'm okay now."

"Are you sure?" Tony looks at Peter as if he's about to break, but Peter remains strong.

"Yes. I'm sure, dad."

Tony rolls his eyes. "Don't start that. I thought I'd lost you, underoos."

It's quiet for a moment. 

"Can I have a hug?" Peter asks softly.

Tony gets up to hug him but then hesitates. "What about your ribs?"

Peter smiles. "I guess superhealing has it's pros."

"Why didn't they kick in when you were almost DEAD?"

Peter smile falters. "I.. don't know."

Tony frowns. "We'll worry about that later, right now let's just enjoy that you're alive. May and Ned are going to be ecstatic."

Peter hugs Tony, and mumbles. "So is MJ."

Tony pulls away. "How would you know that?"

Peter smiles again and hums. "We'll worry about that later, right now let's just enjoy I'm alive."

Tony rolls his eyes for the second time and ruffles Peter's hair. "I love you, kid."

"I love you too, Tony."