Teeth

Spooktober.13

a/n: if you're 6 or under then don't read this oneshot (and also get off of wattpad??? omg please tell me there aren't actual six year olds on this site, I'm losing my mind)

"Peter, one more thing." Tony dips back in the house and lowers his voice. "Morgan lost a tooth earlier today. She's excited to put it under her pillow. We might be back before she's asleep, but if not—"

"Oh!" Peter nods. "I've got it. Don't worry about a thing, Mr. Stark."

Tony laughs with relief. "Yeah. Of course. I don't know why I'm stressed."

"It's your first night out in like, forever since everything happened. Go have fun!" Peter nudges him back out the door.

Pepper gives him a thumbs up through the window, wearing a nice dress and a nicer smile. Tony joins her and they get in the car.

Peter turns around and gives Morgan a grin. "Hey, dimples! Looks like we've finally got the house to ourselves."

Morgan looks up from the film on the television after a second and then grins back. "Yeah!"

"What do you want to do?" Peter leans against the doorway. "We can build with your blocks, we can keep watching movies..."

"Can we eat juice pops?"

Peter laughs and nods. He walks over and picks Morgan up easily, letting her sit up on his shoulders. "I think we can do that. You holding tight?"

Morgan hugs her small arms around his collarbone and nods. "Yep! Go, horsey, go!"

Peter 'trots' into the kitchen, and opens the freezer up. He unwraps a popsicle and hands it up to Morgan. "Try not to get grape juice in my hair, mkay?"

"Mkay," Morgan hums pleasantly, before chomping into the popsicle. One hand is still tightly held on to Peter's shirt for stability, but she knows Peter would never let her fall.

It's too late to go outside, and Morgan's bedtime is strictly 8:30PM. This means that they have roughly an hour to spend. (Tony and Pepper said they would be coming home at around eleven or twelve.)

After they finish their juice pops, Peter sets Morgan down on the couch. "Dimples, you ever play Minecraft?"

Morgan shakes her head. "Nuh uh."

Perfect.

Peter takes a tablet out of his backpack and unlocks it, opening the app and handing it to Morgan. He walks her through the game, but mostly just lets her mess around with it.

"I can join your game, too," Peter pulls a laptop out of his backpack and starts the game.

Pretty soon, they're playing the game together. Morgan's way of playing is choppy but it's endearing all the same.

He knows logically that it probably isn't a good idea to set up the five year old with a tablet before bedtime, but he's a cool big brother. The coolest, if you ask him, and he's determined to keep it that way.

An hour passes by relatively quick when you're having fun, or so they say. 8:30 rolls around fast, and Peter manages to convince Morgan to put down the tablet and put pajamas on, but only if Peter read her a bedtime story.

Five minutes later and Peter walks into the bedroom, holding a book he grabbed from the downstairs bookshelf.

Morgan is tucked into her bed, stuffed animal wrapped protectively under her arm. She smiles expectantly. "What book did you pick?"

"The Ant and the Grasshopper," Peter says, and then sits beside Morgan on the bed. He reads the story to her quietly, and then turns out the light on his way out.

Forty minutes later, and he's sure that Morgan is asleep.

Operation Tooth Fairy was a go.

Peter grabbed a few quarters, making sure to find the shiniest ones in the batch, and quietly creaks down the hall. He debates whether or not to crawl on the ceiling, but decides against it. That would be terrifying if she accidentally woke up.

He sneaks toward the bed, making as little noise as possible, and very slowly reaches forward.

Morgan shifts. He stalls all movement completely.

She turns to face away from him, and then lets out a soft snore. Peter lets out a very quiet breath of relief and keeps reaching forward, slipping his hand under the pillow.

Peter immediately feels a small plastic bag, and pulls it out. Yep. That must be it. He pockets the bag and slips the coins under the pillow. The clink against each other, causing him to flinch, but Morgan doesn't even budge.

Peter relaxes and then slowly walks back to the doorway. Mission accomplished. It feels nice to do something right for —

Squeak.

Peter's eyes widen and he freezes, looking down. Of course, under his foot, there was a toy. He quickly looks back at Morgan.

Morgan shifts again in the bed, but doesn't seem to have woken up. He takes this as his cue to leave as quick as he can, so he does.

He leaves the bag on Tony's desk, and then sits on the couch to wait for the couple to come back.

Hours pass.

When Tony and Pepper walk into the house, Peter is passed out on the couch.

Pepper gives a fond smile and then disappears into their bedroom. Tony drapes a blanket over Peter before following her.

Peter wakes up with his babysitter money under the couch pillow with a note that says:

'not bad, tooth fairy. thanks for babysitting :) -pepper'

He can't help but laugh.